29::: assessment of feelings for a girl

One away from 30 chapters!

[ UNEDITED ]

Have you ever woken up from a nap and had to convince yourself that the nightmare you had was just a dream?

Then you relax and stay calm, all while knowing that you're safe from harm or in my case extreme embarrassment.

Yeah well good for you because my nightmare wasn't a dream at all.

"Mom." I moan, rolling over on the couch feeling groggy from my nap.

She rushes to my side, "Yes what is it?"

My tongue feels thick and dry in my mouth, my lips chapped.

"I'm thirsty." I manage to croak.

After giving my arm a light pat she walks to the kitchen, retrieving what I'm assuming is a glass of water.

Sighing heavily I reach over to the coffee table, snatching my phone off of the glass surface to check my notifications.

Several texts and Instagram dms wishing me luck on my recovery catch my attention. I quickly answer my friends but leave the others for later. They may sound harsh but everyone else doesn't actually care. I go to school with them and they feel obligated to check up on me so I don't feel too bad about leaving them on read.

I try and recall today's earlier events, my mind feeling blocked and foggy. I remember bits and pieces like when I first woke up and falling asleep in Zedd's lap but everything else is apparently unimportant to my memory.

"Oh no." I groan in embarrassment as a picture of my hand walking across his arm appears in my mind.

I'm such an idiot.

"Hey lazy bones. How are ya feeling?" A familiar voice speaks from across the living room.

"Ah!" I exclaim, startled. "I didn't see you there."

He shrugs, leaning back in my recliner comfortably, looking annoyingly at home. "Your mom asked me to stay here and help her make sure you don't do anything crazy."

My eyes roll out of habit. "Oh please. She can handle me herself."

A smirk slowly makes its way to his face, his hazel eyes alight with humor. "Okay you got me. I was worried about you." He confesses smoothly.

I scoff, for some odd reason feeling a little self conscious to the fact that my cheeks are swollen, my lips dry and crusty. "Now that's even more unbelievable."

He laughs, standing up swiftly before walking over to the couch I'm laying helplessly on. Picking up my legs, he plops himself underneath and sets them on his lap comfortably.

"Is it that hard to believe? Come on we're friends right?" Zedd looks over at me, a challenging gaze.

I tilt my chin up pridefully. "Of course we're friends."

He narrows his eyes at me. "Then I'm allowed to be concerned for my friend right?"

I shrug nonchalantly but my hard pounds faintly at the underlying conversation. "Of course."

My mind wonders to when we were in the grocery story, his face right above mine. I feel my face turn red.

Studying me intently for a moment he quarks a brow. "Okay."

My mom returns soon after with a bottle of water, my smoothie from earlier, and a plastic spoon.

"Okay Max you're going to have to be careful when you drink this. I would help but I've got to take Garrett to get a couple things." She looks apologetically at me, biting her lip as she gauges my reaction.