Chapter 1 - Les espoir détruits et de nouvelles personnes

A/N - I suggest you listen to the song on repeat throughout the chapter

The green fields went on for miles. They seemed to never end. The trees far of in the distance were nothing but black dots. There were a few winding roads but nothing occupied them. She had a good view from the top of the hill. She could see it all. Unfortunately, it wasn't what she wanted  to see. She wanted to see a base. Some make-shift camp that offered shelter, weapons, scientists, buildings and clean, safe water. But most of all, she wanted to see people. Hopefully her family. Instead, she was greeted with nothing. And there never had  been anything.

"Oh. Shit." She heard Courtney gasp out.

The hope washed from Jane's body like water swirling down a drain. In a matter of seconds, it was all gone and replaced with sadness and bewilderment. Her eyes darted across the fields to catch a glimpse of something. She was ready to get down on her knees and beg to a God that she didn't believe in.

"No, no, no." Jane constantly mumbled, her eyes still searching the empty fields. Her hands lifted and ran over her head. "No." She whispered defeated.

Courtney's shock quickly changed to anger and rage. Her jaw tightened and her fists clenched, knuckles turning chalky white. Her fingernails dug into the skin of her palm and she blocked out the cries from Jeanette and Bethany. She turned on her heel and marched over to Jane, knocking into Nate on the way. He was in a daze, his distraught eyes locked onto the fields ahead. She threw her palm against Jane's shoulder to turn her around.

"There's nothing here." Courtney hissed quietly. Her eyes burned furiously into Jane's. Jane shook her head in disbelief and looked back to the desolate field.

"No, there has to be. There-" Jane started. Shaking her head at what Courtney had said. She didn't want to believe it, she couldn't. She was cut off.

"There is nothing!" Courtney threw her arm out to the field. "You led us to nothing!" Her voice was cold and biting. The rage obvious in her searing eyes. "God, I knew it." She scoffed to herself, taking a step back from Jane. "I knew we should've headed West." She said to herself. This seemed to snap Nate out of his trance.

"And what do you think is West Courtney? Cause I can promise you, it is no better than this." He yelled at her, the tears pooling in his eyes. His eyes bounced between the field and Courtney.

"Yeah, well maybe if we headed West, we'd all be alive. Maybe we'd be with others and not alone." She yelled back, Nate shook his head and turned away from her. 

Courtney moved her attention back to Jane who stood confused. She moved her head closer to Jane's and whispered. "Is this what you were looking for Jane? Did you get what you wanted?" She asked emotionlessly. When Jane didn't reply, she breathed out a humourless laugh and turned to walk away.

"I took a chance," Jane said. She was still looking out at the fields. Courtney froze in her place and turned slowly round to face her.

"What?" She asked, not sure of what she had just heard. Jane looked to her and repeated what she'd said.

"I took a chance." She said with tears rushing down her face.

"Yeah, you took a chance on our lives! You made the wrong damn call and I tried to tell you that, I did. But you didn't listen. You never do! Now if it starts raining we are dead. We'll never make it back in time and there is nothing for miles! So yeah, Jane you did take a chance but if we all die, then that blood is on your hands." Courtney shouted. She took a threatening step forward. "Try and live with that, cause I can tell you now, it is horrible." She bit. Jane whimpered and looked away.