Chapter 5 - Partage les sentiments et les conversations de fin de nuit

A/N - I suggest you listen to the song on repeat throughout the chapter

They'd been driving all day and all night, swapping every few hours. Courtney was fast asleep in the back seat while Ross drove and Drew read the map. The sun was rising on the horizon and the sky was turning a light shade of red. The street was getting wider as they approached the turnoff to Leatherhead.

"Guys?" Nate's crackled voice cut through the silence. Drew grabbed the walkie-talkie from the dashboard and Ross looked over to Courtney, glad to see she was still asleep. "I think it's time to pull over. Jeanette's asleep and I don't know how long I can keep my eyes open."

Ross nodded to Drew and pushed down slightly harder on the gas pedal.

"Yeah, we're about to head into Leatherhead. It'll be...five? Ten minutes?" Drew said, looking down at the map. The light in the car was on, it was annoying Ross but Drew needed it.

"Good," Nate said thankfully. Drew placed the small yellow walkie-talkie back in its rightful place and folded up the map, he didn't need it anymore.

Five minutes later, the Hyundai, Mercedes and Volkswagen were pulling up to an abandoned house. The front door swinging wide open. Ross glanced down to his watch. It was about seven in the morning, they'd been driving all day yesterday and all night. The lack of sleep was catching up with him, he covered his mouth as he let out a yawn that he couldn't contain even if he tried.

"So this is where we're staying?" Courtney asked rhetorically from behind him. Ross glanced up at the rearview mirror to see her sitting in the middle seat. Her hair messy and tangled and her eyes tired and droopy. He smiled at her appearance and nodded, even though she couldn't see. With a grunt Ross swung the car door open and stepped out, looking behind him to see everyone else doing the same. He slammed the door shut and moved around, opening Courtney's door for her too.

She smiled up at him and scoffed, wiping her sleepy eyes. She shook her head and dragged her heavy body to the door. The cold air bit her skin and she hissed. She stood in front of Ross, chest to chest and grabbed the car door, slamming it shut. He smirked down at her and walked to the trunk.

"So, we're staying here? Is it even safe?" Karen asked walking up to Courtney with her family following after her. She was rubbing her arms to heat them up, hugging herself. James was tired, that much was obvious but there was anger in his eyes too, and Courtney couldn't figure out why.

Courtney looked away from the house to the ground, seeing Karen's feet out her peripheral. She nodded and took a breath. "Yeah, we'll check it to make sure it's safe." Courtney turned on her heel and walked past the anxious family just as Karen opened her mouth to ask another question. She leant against the car watching Ross pull out certain bags and drop them on the ground.

"You going in?" He asked without looking up. He knew she was there, he could feel her watching him. He pulled her black blade from an open bag and handed it to her.

"Nah," She dragged out, taking the knife from his extended hand. "I'm gonna sit this one out, let you clear it." She said while stuffing the blade in her belt. For some reason she couldn't look at him when saying that, she thought he'd see her as weak and scared.

"Okay," He said casually, pulling his body from the trunk and slamming it shut. "I'll get Nate or Drew to help me out, maybe both." He said smiling down at her, loading his gun and walking away. Courtney looked up and watched his back as he walked towards the two boys. They conversed and both Nate and Drew nodded, one was more hesitant than the other but all three of them headed in.

"I'm surprised," Jane stated from beside Courtney, her voice laced with shock. Courtney looked up to see her friend who had somehow appeared by her side. "I thought you'd be running in there first," Jane said looking from Courtney to the house, just catching the boys as they disappeared through the entrance.