Chapter 12 - En cours d'exécution, tombant et histoires de feu de camp

A/N - I suggest you listen to the song on repeat throughout the chapter

They both looked up to the dark sky in fright. The moon could vaguely be seen as clouds were quickly pushed past it by the wind. Their main source of light was from Nate's torch which was now flickering.

Nate looked over to the house, his face fell. He knew there was no way that they were going to make it back. The house was lit up by candles and any other sources that offered light. The windows glowed and cast long lengths of light onto the grass.

"Run!" Courtney screamed in his face, tugging the rifle off his shoulders and throwing it over both of hers so it was against her back. She started dragging him forward until his feet moved by themselves.

-A/N - Like that-

-A/N - Like that-

They sprinted across the bumpy terrain, staggering when their feet got caught in small holes that dotted the ground. The wind knocked them off balance a few times and Courtney's flapping hair caused her to lose sight of Nate who was beside her.

The door to the house was wide open but they were too far away to make out who was beckoning them forward. Courtney looked up to the sky, praying to God that they could have five more minutes before the rain came down, but she knew that time wasn't on her side. It never was.

"We'll never make it," Nate yelled from Courtney's right side. His lungs were dry and his throat hurt. He wished now that he'd quit smoking. His arms pumped up and down and he could feel a stitch forming in his side.

Courtney nodded, knowing he was right. "The barn!" She screamed, pointing to it with her finger. She'd left the door open, so that would make it easier, however, the door was on the other side of the barn, meaning they'd have to go around it.

They pushed themselves harder, the wind getting caught in their throats making it harder to breathe. They felt as if they were choking, drowning on the air.

Even though the barn was closer, it wasn't exactly safer. It was built from wood, and wood had gaps. They could take shelter there but it didn't guarantee their safety from the rain.

Courtney slowed down a little to look behind her. She didn't know why she did, but she felt the need to see the woman one last time. Courtney squinted her eyes but the woman had been tugged into the night. Her body was no longer visible.

"Courtney!" Nate yelled ahead of her. She spun her head around and picked up her pace, chasing after him. One more minute, one more minute and they'd be at the barn. But the clouds couldn't hold it for one more minute.

Nate's foot fell into a small hole and his body hit the ground. His head smacked off the rocky terrain and his vision became blurry. All he could see was Courtney's feet ahead of him, still running. He opened his mouth to yell out to her but his brain couldn't form the words. This is it, he thought. He was going to die.