Chapter 31 - Pas une option et étant un groupe

Her fingers tapped on the metal table. She sniffed and looked around the room. It was like the room in the army base. The one that they all sat in while being interrogated. She smiled softly at the reminder of that time. The time when Courtney was still alive. The vague smile left her face instantly and she stared at the door in front of her.

The people from the store forced her into a car. They kept the gun aimed at her. Jane finally saw the man's face, the man with the soft voice. He had a beard, thick stubble. His hair was a very dark brown, could easily be mistaken for black but Jane knew what black hair looked like.

He hadn't taken his eyes off of her, his cold emerald green gaze was planted on her the entire journey.

They never answered her questions when she asked where they were taking her or if they were going to kill her. The man just thrust his gun forward and shook his head, telling her not to talk.

The door clicked open and a woman walked in, her head down. She was staring at a clipboard in her hands. Jane's back immediately straightened and she pushed her fear to the side.

"Alright," She spoke confidently. She raised her head allowing Jane to get a good look at the her. The woman's hair was light brown, pulled tightly back into a ponytail. Her skin was soft and blemish free. Her eyes were a beady blue, her pupils nothing but a small dot in an ocean of crystal. Her nose was long and sharp, a pair of black glasses sat perched on it. "Let's get started then," She announced, closing the door behind her and taking a seat across from Jane.

She lay the clipboard on the table and clicked her pen a few times. Her eyes scanned the paper and it took everything in Jane not to look down to see what she was reading. Jane kept her eyes fixed on the woman across from her.

"My name is Amelia Iver." She started speaking as if she'd done this many times before. Her voice was bored and tired. She kept her face down, her eyes scanning the writing as if Jane wasn't even worth her time. "I am a doctor," She looked up at Jane, letting her hands lay on the table, the pen tight in her grip. "I've studied weather and its patterns for almost fifteen years."

Jane's head pulled back in surprise. The woman looked quite young, only in her late twenties or early thirties.

She ignored Jane's stare and looked back down to her papers, somewhat impatiently. "Now I'm going to ask you some questions. If you could please answer them as honestly as possible that would be extremely helpful." She droned, lifting up the pen in her hand and pressed it into the paper. Just as she opened her mouth, Jane spoke first.

"Where the hell am I?" She demanded, leaning forward and trying to be a least a little intimidating. She was trying to mimic Courtney but Jane knew that it wasn't working.

The woman sighed in aggravation and looked at the wall to her right, subtly rolling her eyes before looking back at Jane.

She smiled tightly. "You're in a safe zone." She said briefly, looking back to her papers.

Jane's look of attempted intimidation fell and was replaced with a look of shock. She sat back in her seat and looked at the room she was in. How didn't she notice it all before? The camera in the corner watching her. The electricity lighting up the room. The air-conditioning cooling her hot body.

The woman's hand slapped against the metal table causing Jane to jump up and send a glare of fear to Amelia. The doctor scowled at Jane and shook her head. "Can you answer my question, please?" She tried to be kind but Jane could sense the anger in her voice.

Jane sat back and gave the woman her full attention, laying her palms flat against the cold table. The woman raised her brow and lifted her pen.

"What's your name?" Amelia repeated, keeping her eyes planted on Jane. Jane licked her lips and swallowed, debating on whether or not to tell the truth.