Chapter 14 - Blessures par balle et sang chaud

A/N - I suggest you listen to the song on repeat throughout the chapter

She lay on the cold concrete with her eyes closed, her hand clasping her shoulder. Everything was quiet. In her mind it was peaceful. Her black hair was dark against the light stone and her skin was pale as usual. There was no noise, she was blocking out everything and focusing on the throbbing in her shoulder.

Then, like a slap in the face, she came to her senses. Her blue-green eyes snapped open and looked up to the clear sky, she gasped at the pain. The sound of crying and yelling reached her ears. Courtney moved her hand and looked down at her blood-covered palm, fear washed in. She lifted her head up and looked over at her shoulder. She sighed and dropped her head back down, hitting it off the stone.

She'd been grazed. She turned over so she was lying on her stomach and picked up the gun that she'd thrown when she felt the bullet touch her skin. With a deep breath, she pushed herself upright so she was standing on shaky legs.

She spun around in a panic and raised her gun, hissing at the pain in her shoulder. She'd forgotten about the shooter and here she was standing right in his line of sight. She watched with wide eyes, the window was empty. Ross had done it.

"Courtney!" Jane screamed out angrily, the girl had just laid there while they were dealing with a bigger problem.

Her head snapped around and her gun lowered at the sight of everyone crowding around something on the shop floor. She holstered her gun and gripped her forearm tightly, running through the now smashed doors.

It was Karen. She'd been shot. Her stomach was soaked red and her face was white as paper. Her head was in James's lap as he whispered soothing words to her. Drew's hands were pushing down on her wound and the harder he pressed the louder she yelled in pain. Tears poured out of her eyes and shaky breaths came out her parted mouth. Sweat ran down her forehead and mixed with the salt water on her face.

"Shit," Courtney mumbled, staring down at the dying woman. She swallowed and images of the lady in the field popped into her mind. She froze and everything around her faded.

"What do we do?" Jane asked worriedly, Karen's condition wasn't getting any better. She looked up at Courtney from her kneeled position, when the girl didn't answer Jane gripped Courtney's leather jacket and tugged on it hard. "What do we do?!" She yelled, fear taking control of her mind.

This seemed to snap Courtney out of her state. She cleared her mind and pushed the pain from her shoulder aside. Courtney moved around so she was beside Drew and dropped to her knees.

"What are you doing?" James asked, his voice wobbly and broken. He looked up from his wife to Courtney, his eyes shimmering with tears that hadn't fallen yet.

"Looking for an exit wound." She stated emotionlessly. She couldn't let someone die again, not this time. This time, she was going to do something and Karen was going to live.

Courtney shoved her hand under Karen's stomach and lifted up her sticky top. She slid her hand under Karen's waist and she yelled out in pain.

"Stop! You're killing her, stop it!" James yelled, hitting Courtney's arm weakly with his hand. She didn't stop, she continued pressing against her back. She couldn't feel one. The bullet was still inside her.

"Okay, wait here." She said between breaths, pushing herself up and running through the store, there had to be something she could use.

"Ja-" Karen started when she couldn't speak anymore, she felt liquid coming up her throat. She couldn't swallow it, she felt like she was choking.