Chapter 35 - Combats seul

"So what do we do?" Jeanette asked over the buzz of the cafeteria. They hadn't slept at all that night. They lay in their beds with their wide eyes to the ceiling. Jane had told Drew everything, she was done keeping secrets from him. She decided then and there that she'd tell him everything, she wasn't going to risk losing him again.

"I don't know," Drew whispered, his hands were entangled and rested his heavy head. His boney knuckles were digging into his chin. He closed his eyes and tried to silence the sound of everyone talking.

"Look," Jane asserted, grabbing everyone's attention. "We can't stay here, it's not safe but I don't know how we get out, how...." She looked around the massive room, taking in all the parents and children, all the individuals that managed to make it. "How we get everyone out."

Ross's head raised, his eyes wide in pride as he took in Jane's appearance. A smile tugged at the corner of his lips and he nodded his head in agreement.

"Alex, where's the paper?" Jeanette asked curiously, scanning the top half of Alex's body considering it was all she could see due to the table.

"I hid it in the room." He said, looking to his right to see Jane staring back at him. Jeanette nodded and looked over his shoulder to see Bethany and Ben heading towards her with trays of food in their hands. She swallowed nervously as she watched them with anxious eyes.

"What did you even do anyway?" Jane asked, referring to the computer. Alex smirked at her, pride filling his eyes. He sat up in his seat and grinned to himself.

"I found the blueprints, wrote down everything we'd need to bust out of this place." He boasted, Drew watched as his ego practically inflated like a balloon. "And I eh..." He leant forward as if he was telling a secret. He smiled at Jane, his eyes wide with satisfaction. "I left her a little message." He teased cryptically, dragging his body back across the table.

Jane's brows furrowed and she shook her head. "What do you mean?"

Alex sat back in his seat and looked away, smiling to himself as he evaded her question. Jane sighed and pursed her lips, pulling her attention off of him.

"So when do we leave?" Ross asked, ignoring Alex's bragging and getting straight to the point.

Jane pursed her lips and let her eyes scan the room. Ben and Bethany sat at the opposite end of the table, scarfing down their food. Jane watched, a small smile appearing on her face. Her smile fell and she looked up to Ross.

"I have no idea."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They'd left the cafeteria and were making their way through the halls back to their room to discuss the plan further. Jane was behind the rest of them, trailing behind slightly.

Her mind was too busy for her to focus. She had no idea what was going on, what she was going to do. She had no clue how they were going to escape. She felt the pressure now, the pressure that Courtney had felt on a daily basis.

"Hey!" A voice shouted authoritatively, it boomed down the hallway causing the group to halt in their place.

Jane's head snapped violently in the direction of the voice, her body tense in fear that Amelia found out that it was them.

It wasn't her. It was Anna. She was marching down the hallway, striding straight towards Jane. Her back hair flowed out behind her and her eyes were cold and detached. Her cheeks were hollow but Jane couldn't tell whether she always looked like that. She hadn't seen Anna since the cafeteria.