Chapter 33 - Membres de la famille et les croyances

"You know Courtney?" Anna asked in shock. Her eyes were wide in hope and her mouth was slightly open. Her hands were pressed against the table, her body leant forward. "You know my sister?" She asked again, her tone becoming more and more excited.

"Yes," Jane whispered sorrowfully, wondering how she was going to break it to Anna. Jane opened her mouth but Anna didn't let her talk.

"Oh," Her eyes watered and she threw herself back. She ran both of her hands through her hair and smiled at Jane. "I've been trying to find her ever since this all started. I...I never knew where they went. I called so many numbers and tried so many houses." She laughed to herself, smiling at Jane with so much hope and joy. "I was about to head to London to find her but.." She leant closer to Jane. "You can just tell me where she is." Her whole face lit up, she grinned and her eyes flashing with elation.

Jane shook her head and looked down to her entwined hands. Anna's brows furrowed and she leant even closer.

"What?" She asked puzzled, her smile fell slightly as she waited for a response.

Jane looked up, her cheeks wet with tears. She pursed her lips and swallowed the lump in her throat.

"I..." She coughed to clear her throat. After avoiding Anna's piercing gaze, she finally met her ocean blue eyes. "I knew your sister. She was my best friend." Anna's face fell at Jane's words. She slowly dragged her body off the table and slumped in her seat. She shook her head in disbelief.

"What..? What do you...? What do you mean you'knew' my sister?" She asked anxiously, her voice cracking as she spoke. Jane sent her a grave look. Anna knew what that meant. She shook her head, her lips quivering. "No," She pleaded, shaking her head at Jane. "No, no."

Jane looked Anna in the eyes. "She died about five days ago."

Anna crumbled. Jane watched as she cried into her hands. Shaking her head in horror at Jane's words. Jane let a few tears slip but she tried her best to hold them all back. Anna ran a hand through her black hair and looked around the cafeteria helplessly.

"I....I haven't seen her for...for years." She sobbed, letting her face fall into her hands. "I left her." She hissed at herself. "I abandoned her." She growled out, lifting her head from her hands.

She wiped her cheeks dry and stared at Jane with angry eyes. A shiver darted down Jane's spine. This girl was more like Courtney than she realised.

"Tell me how," Anna demanded, squeezing her hands into fists and pressing them against the metal of the table.

Jane closed her eyes and shook her head. She didn't want to relive the memory, she didn't think that Anna should know.

Anna lifted her fist and slammed it down on the metal table causing the tray to jump up then slam back down. Jane bounced in her seat and slowly opened her eyes. The majority of people in the cafeteria were staring at the two girls. Jane's eyes took in Anna's animalistic figure. She was hunched over, baring her teeth.

"Tell me everything, now!" She fumed, her cheeks red and wet. Her eyes still pooling with tears but holding a burning fire.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jane had told her everything. All the things that Courtney had ever said to Jane. Everything from the day they met to the first day she saw Courtney cry. She told Anna about detention, how they left and how she had moulded into their leader. She told Anna about all the fights and all the things she'd ever said to Courtney and how Courtney always forgave her. She was at the swimming pool.