Chapter 2 - Le temps de congélation et le nouveau monde

A/N - I suggest you listen to the song on repeat throughout the chapter

"This isn't our first..encounter with the dogs." James started. Everyone was sitting or standing around the dining table. Their faces lit by small candles drenched in wax. Courtney was standing against the wall, opposite James. He was talking to everyone but his attention was on her. "They must stay around here because they come quite often. We haven't been able to get far before they seem to find us. That's why we were looking through your car, we wanted to get away." He looked to his wife and kids. They were tired and weary.

"How long have you been here?" Jane asked. She leant forward on her elbows. She was sitting opposite Karen with Drew and Bethany on either side of her. Ross and Nate were leaning against the wall by the end of the table, able to see everyone. Jeanette stood behind Bethany, her hands placed firmly on the chair.

Karen looked from her husband to Jane. "About two or three days." She looked down to Ben who sat on her lap and ran her hand over his dirty, greasy hair.

Ross pushed himself off the wall and stepped forward. "And you haven't seen or heard a single thing?" He asked in disbelief. James's head snapped up at Ross's tone.

"We already said that. What don't you understand?" He asked bitterly, his eyes burning into Ross's. Ross stepped forward angrily but was stopped by Nate's hand slamming into his chest, pushing him back against the wall. He shook his head at Ross and Ross shrugged his hand off.

It was later now, they'd talked and shared information but the family didn't know much. They hadn't seen many people die, they hadn't witnessed the horror and the crazy beyond the walls of their useless car and house. They were somewhat innocent to the new world. Courtney had stayed silent and let Jane do all the talking. She was watching James. Something about him worried her, the way he moved and talked caused her to approach him with caution.

The rain was pattering lightly off the window, it was the only sound to be heard except the quiet breaths of the sleeping bodies that littered the living room couches and floor. There was only one bed upstairs and Karen, James, and their kids had already set up in there.

Jeanette was standing beside the window, looking through the small gap between the nailed wooden boards. The light from the candle beside her on the window sill illuminated her face. The moon gave some clear light into the room but the orange glow devoured it. She couldn't see anything, but she could hear the odd growl and bark as the dogs fought with each other. Maybe over food.

"Can't sleep?" She turned her head in the direction of the voice. It was Drew. He was sat up against the wall, Jane curled up in a ball beside him. He wasn't looking at Jeanette, he was looking out the window even though he couldn't see anything from where he was sitting on the floor.

"No." She mumbled and turned back to the outside world. She could hear him standing to his feet and tip-toeing towards her. Soon, he was leaning against the sill looking down at the wavering flame.

"What time is it?" He asked, nodding to her watch. She looked down at it and frowned, her eyes became sad. The watch was a gift from Clifton for their first Christmas. It was thin and silver. It was a simple basic watch, nothing expensive but so special. She shrugged and looked away, pursing her lips so she wouldn't cry.

"I don't know, it stopped a while ago." She said quickly, using a short answer in order to drop the topic of the watch. But no such luck.

"Why don't you just get rid of it then?" Drew asked simply. The way he said it, as if it wasn't a big deal bothered her so much more, the way he only saw it as a watch. Jeanette inhaled sharply and turned to him. He didn't know. He didn't know the deeper meaning behind the watch. She let out the breath of air and her tight face loosened.