Chapter 6 - Devinant laissant et confessant

A/N - I suggest you listen to the song on repeat throughout the chapter

Courtney released the breath she didn't even know she was holding. She pushed the jacket out of her face and crawled forward to the windowsill. On her knees, she peeked out the window to make sure there were no more men around the house. The sight caused her lungs to freeze, her limbs to stiffen and her eyes to fill with disgust. The woman was being held up by her arms, kneeling before the men. Now that the torchlight was shining in her face, Courtney and the others could see what she really looked like.

Her hair was matted with thick, red blood and her ripped clothing was drenched. It clung to her skin like glue and blood dripped from her body like oil. Her mouth was wide as screams erupted from her dry throat.

They couldn't hear what was being said to the woman, the men were too far away. Courtney only caught a few words since the front door was open. The words 'Typhon' and 'game' reached her ears but she shrugged it off. The next thing she saw caused her to push back off the windowsill. She quickly caught herself before her back could hit the ground and sat back on her knees. 

The men who weren't holding her up had lifted their machetes, knives or any sharp object and either slashed or stabbed her. Her skin was being ripped open and torn apart until she wasn't recognisable anymore. Blood gushed from the wounds that now covered her body and wails filled the silence along with laughter as the men slaughtered the woman kneeling before them.

Courtney could've sworn that the lady made eye contact with her. She could feel the pain and heartbreak that the woman felt as her eyes bore into Courtney's soul. The guilt smashed into Courtney's body and almost knocked her to the ground. Even when the screams had stopped and the woman's mouth was wide and eyes lifeless, Courtney could still hear them. They rung in her mind and rattled her empty brain.

Her back was against the wall, the windowsill digging into the back of her head. Courtney's hand was pressed firmly against her mouth, silencing the loud ragged breaths and the sobs that she could feel shaking her body.

The yells and cheers of the men rumbled through the street and a haunted feeling could be sensed by all in the house. Guilt poured over them like ice water at the realisation that someone died while they hid.

Jane's eyes closed and her head hit the wall behind her. Drew's hand loosened and he could feel Jane's breath chill his warm palm. Ross watched from the shadows as the men left the unrecognisable body and made their way down the street. Soon, the light from their torches were gone and they were all pulled into the darkness that surrounded them. The only sounds to be heard were the breaths and heartbeats that now sounded as loud as drums.

Courtney pushed herself to her feet and looked down the now empty street, she thought she could see the outline of the woman's body but it was just her mind playing tricks on her. It was too dark to see anything. Slowly, she moved forward walking towards the living room. As she made her way through the doorway, her mind heard two sounds. Jane's angry and disgusted voice, along with feet slamming on the stairs.

"What the heck was that!?" Jane screamed at Courtney, breaking free from Drew's tight grip. He stumbled back and moved out of Jane's way as she stormed towards Courtney. Her face red hot and eyes hard.

Courtney's head lifted in confusion, not because she didn't understand what Jane had asked but because she wasn't really listening. All she could see was a furious Jane and a lot of sad, disappointed faces.

"Who were they?" Karen asked from behind Courtney, slightly pushing her out the way so she and her family could get into the living-room. James was the last to walk in, glaring down at Courtney as he moved past her, however, she was oblivious to his stare.