Chapter 13 - Espoir, des boutiques et des tireurs

A/N - I suggest you listen to the song on repeat throughout the chapter

The wisps of smoke rose into the air, curling and twisting. The smell of ash was thick and the sound of birds calling out to each other signalled that it was morning.

Nate was still leant against the wooden beam, sweat dripping from his forehead and down the length of his face. He woke many times throughout the night, either because he was too cold or too hot.

Courtney hadn't closed her eyes once. She rose with the sun and made her way up to the second floor. Her hair was tied up and her hood pulled over her head, gloves on and the sleeves tucked in. She leant against the wooden sill and looked out across the fields.

The orange sun peeked out from behind the small mountains in the distance and soon the dark fields were gradually lit up. Courtney's eyes automatically landed on the woman's bones. That's all they were. Bones. The dog was beside her, fully intact. The blood had been washed from its fur so the gunshot wound was much more visible.

Courtney squinted her eyes, confusion covering her face. She pulled the rifle off her shoulders and looked through the scope, locking the dog's corpse in her sights.

"How...?" She mumbled to herself, not understanding how the dog could survive. Suddenly, she remembered what the Colonel said at the reserve. How some animals weren't affected by the rain, it only seemed to kill humans. She lowered the gun and looked back at the dog, then she lifted it and looked through the scope again. She threw the rifle back over her shoulders and made her way downstairs, now that the rain had stopped she could get Nate to Jeanette.

She walked over to a sleeping Nate and kicked his foot lightly. He grumbled and opened his eyes, closing them a few times until they adjusted to the light.

"The rain's stopped," Courtney stated, shoving the bottles and bloody cloth into the rucksack so they were ready to go.

The plastic sheet above Nate's head was covered in water so Courtney though it was best to leave it and move it later. They'd eat when they got back to the house.

He nodded and used the beam as a support to stand up. Once he was up straight, he took a step forward, his vision blurred and his limbs turned to jelly.

"Woah," Courtney said, holding his shoulders so he stayed standing. "Come on," She threw his arm over her shoulder and wrapped her right arm around his waist. With her left hand, she tugged his hood up over his head and grabbed the backpack, slinging it over her shoulder, along with the rifle that was still on her back and Nate's arm that was now wrapped around her shoulder too.

The barn door creaked open and Courtney pulled her outstretched foot back. Drops of water cascaded to the grassy ground and the two stood for a moment, waiting until there was no water left to fall.

Someone must have noticed that the barn door had opened because the porch door swung open and out came Ross, Jane and Jeanette. The two girls ran across the field and made their way towards the hobbling teenagers.

"Oh my God, you're okay!" Jeanette gasped in joy, about to throw her arms around to two.

"No, he hit his head, I don't know how bad it is," Courtney said gravely, putting a downer on their mood.

Jeanette looked over to a pale, faint Nate who's head was lolling from side to side. She nodded and unlatched him from Courtney, taking him to the house herself.

Jane stared at her with a small smile on her face. "You're okay." She stated, looking Courtney up and down. The girl replied with a nod and started walking again, Jane followed beside her. "What happened? Why did you go out? What did you shoot?" She rattled off, desperate for answers.