Chapter 21 - C'est comme perdre le limbe

Her palms were pressed against the clear glass. She was hunched over on her hands and knees, staring down at the bloody water. She gasped as the air rushed out of her lungs, her throat was closing up and her body was shaking. Jane's eyes overflowed with tears that ran down her face and trickled down her neck.

"No," She whispered heartbrokenly. She shook her head, praying that it was all a dream, a vicious nightmare. But as she watched Courtney's black clothes rise to the surface of the ruby water, she knew it was true.

It was all quiet, the only sound to be heard was the water splashing as it crashed against the rim of the pool and the breaths of the group who had watched their broken leader fall.

Ross's hands were coiled in his hair, he was staring at the place where she was once standing, alive. There was a jagged hole in the glass ceiling and he could see the blood below out the corner of his eye. His mouth was open, he had trouble breathing. He could feel the air circulating in his lungs but he didn't breathe, in fact, he held his breath. His chest shook and he gasped for air, his jaw shuddered and he swayed to the side. His body suddenly felt lighter as if there was nothing inside him, as if his body fell with hers. His vision blurred and he dropped to his knees, knowing he wasn't able to hold himself upright any longer. He squeezed his eyes shut and let out a shaky breath. 

"No," He whispered to himself, objecting the truth. He shook his head and his repeated words turned t sobs that shook his entire body.

Nate stepped back, feeling a string-like object tug him backwards at the sight. She was gone, in the blink of an eye, she was dead. He looked around, searching for her as if she was going to run around the corner. She didn't. He stepped forward, standing beside Ross and looking through the glass. The red was blinding and he felt the need to squint his eyes. Ross sobbed beside him and Nate's hand had a mind of its own, falling gently on the broken boy's shoulder. Nate had no words, nothing he could say would make anything any better.

Jeanette pulled a crying Bethany into her arms as she fell to her knees. She could feel the little girl's warm tears on her neck. Jeanette closed her eyes and shoved her face into Bethany's hair, feeling it tickle her nose. She'd just watched a young girl fall to her death, melt for her best friend. After everything Courtney had done for them, Jeanette never got the chance to thank her.

Ben looked distraught. He was losing everyone. His brother, his mum and his father. Now he witnessed a gruesome death of the girl that had saved them all. Of course, he didn't like Courtney all that much, but unlike his father, he didn't blame her for anything. He couldn't do that even if he tried. Ben was a kindhearted soul but after seeing so much pain and death, he wasn't sure how much longer he could keep his optimism.

Drew's hands found their way to Jane's shoulders. Her body convulsed with sobs that were so strong her limbs jolted violently. She repeated the same few words over and over again. 'No, and I'm sorry'. She was apologising, pleading for time to reverse so that they could both walk away together. Drew's eyes welled with tears and his jaw went slack, his face pale and his body weak.

"Jane, I'm sorry." He whispered in her ear as he moved to her side. She ignored him, staring longingly at the water below. His words went unnoticed and unanswered. Her face was red, blotchy and full of pain. Her mind was constantly torturing her by replaying the moment over and over again.

Dog's barking broke through their sorrow like a serrated blade. Two dogs leapt through the window that they'd came through. Everyone looked up, anger and hatred burning in their eyes.