Chapter 20 - Craintes et derniers adieux

A/N - I suggest you listen to the song on repeat throughout the chapter

She stood staring at her reflection in the mirror, eyes boring into her own that she couldn't even recognise anymore. Her face was dotted with bruises and cuts but she was already used to the sight of them. Her hair colour was fading, the roots and tips turning back to the hated brown. Her hands gripped the sink as she leant closer to the cabinet mirror. She swallowed the lump in her throat and glanced down at the hair dye that sat where the hand soap would've sat. She stared at the dye, debating in her head whether or not to do it.

She pushed herself off the sink and brushed her hair behind her shoulders, she unclipped her cross necklace and started to lay it on the sink, her eyes caught sight of the dye and she lifted it up again, knowing that it would stain the metal. She spun on her heel and opened the bathroom door, stepping out into the hall. She looked down and froze when her eyes caught sight of a bag leant up against the wall. She lunged forward and unzipped the front pocket, dropping the necklace in and heading back into the bathroom.

Jeanette thought it would best to stop and relax, thus giving her time to clean up Kate's wounds as best she could. Courtney had headed straight to the bathroom and had been there ever since.

"So, what do we do about her?" Jane asked Ross's back as he fumbled with his gun. He turned his head to acknowledge that he'd heard her but his attention went straight back to his gun. "She's killed two people the space of three days!" Jane hissed, grabbing his shoulder and spinning him around. "Killed them, in cold blood. Murder." She whispered viciously, looking over her shoulder so that no one would hear her.

He scoffed at her choice of words and slid his gun into his holster. "James was trying to kill her, if she didn't kill him then I would've." He admitted, keeping his eyes locked onto hers. "And with that guy in the street, if she didn't kill him, he would've killed Kate and then killed us or...or branded us." He hissed with disgust. He leant down so his face was inches away from hers. "You keep calling her a murderer, I'll just say she did what she had to." He pulled his face back and let out a humourless laugh. "Probably saved all of us, again." He said honestly, a small smile visible at the corner of his lips.

She ripped open the box and pulled out everything she'd need, constantly glancing up at her reflection then back down to the box. She lined all the equipment out and went back to her previous position. Pressed against the sink and staring at herself. 

Her eyes scanned the body that she could see in the mirror, lingering on the leather jacket that was wrapped tightly around her shoulders. Her eyes were hollow and lost, full of pain and fear. Suddenly, with angry eyes, she lifted her hand and smacked all the hair dye objects off the sink, watching as they hit against the wall and clattered to the floor of the bathtub.

She yanked the bathroom door open and stepped out, slamming it shut behind her. She looked down the hall to see Jane, watching her with wide eyes as she emerged from up the stairs. Courtney's eyes dropped to her feet and she lunged to the side, grabbing the bag and heading for the first room on her right. She closed the door behind her and dropped her bag on the messy bed. She closed her eyes and took a breath, feeling a wave of shame and guilt wash over her. She heard the door open and her eyes scrunched up tightly, hoping to keep the tears in.

"Are you okay?" Jane asked timidly, staring at the back of her best friend. Courtney's hair was acting as a shield, a barrier, so Jane couldn't see her face. Jane took a breath and continued speaking, not sure of how Courtney would react. "I'm sorry," She whispered, she heard Courtney take a breath but she didn't turn around. "For...looking at you like you are-were a...killer." She corrected herself and continued talking to Courtney's back.