Chapter 11 - De nouvelles vies et de nouvelles morts

A/N - I suggest you listen to the song on repeat throughout the chapter

-6 months later-

Winter was hard. The snow came down heavier and thicker than ever before. The nights were long and cold. There were many times when lives were close to being lost. The cold was a ravenous animal that showed no mercy. There were one too many close calls. But beyond that, things were slightly different.

Jane and Courtney weren't back to normal but Jane had done what Courtney told her to do. She had accepted her and their relationship had been reborn. They weren't as close as before but Jane did feel safer around her now.

Nate and Ross were closer, somewhat allies. They weren't best friends but they could rely on each other. They went on raids together, they had each other's backs.

Ross had taught everyone the basics of what he knew. He taught everyone - except Bethany and Ben - how to correctly hold and use a gun. He also told them simple fighting stances and how to fight with and without a knife.

Karen had spent the first few months in bed. Mourning the loss of her son. She ate very little and rarely moved. James spent those months either by her side or in his son's room next door. One day, all he wanted was to be with her and then the next he couldn't even look at her. Jane went up almost every day hoping to make a difference but all Karen needed was time. And that was something Jane couldn't give.

Bethany did get her own room. She spent hours rearranging it and sticking her pictures on the walls. Jeanette continued teaching her and Ben. Jeanette was struggling too but she hid it well, only crying late at night. The ring on her finger was the only thing - along with the watch - that she had to remind her of Clifton. Her bond with Bethany was even stronger, their relationship was both sisterly and motherly.

Jane and Drew had been speaking on a daily basis. He didn't hide his affection for her and Jeanette thought it was sweet how infatuated he was with her. She, however, was oblivious to it. Jane was too busy focusing on developing her survival skills, she was tired of being the weakest link.

Ross and Courtney were closer. In a way, he was like her second in command. Their relationship had not progressed. She was still leading the group much to James's dismay.

The farm they were staying on had a backup generator so for the first few months they had power. Lots of it. They showered every day, ate warm food. Lived a life of luxury. But later on, they used it all up and had to rely on fire and the old water supply. Showering was then restricted to once a week.

Courtney was colder. Braver. She had a heavier weight on her shoulders and sometimes all the responsibility was just too much. She still had many sleepless nights and ended up taking watch. They came across a few people on raids but stayed hidden in the shadows. She didn't want to face another confrontation.

During winter the dogs seemed to have disappeared. Only the odd bark and growl could be heard in the middle of the night.

There were many days when the group would feel hopeless. Blaming each other for any little thing that went wrong. They had their good days and bad. Unfortunately, more bad than good.

Nate and Ross had raided a deserted safe zone set up by the army. It wasn't the one that they had been looking for, but a small set up in a forgotten town. They had new weapons. Guns, knives, holsters and much more. They were prepared now. They were ready to survive. Ready to face the constant fight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~