03 - Partners

Sebastian Peters:

   "Sebastian Nolan Peters, get your ass out of bed!" His booming voice fills our entire home. I groan and roll around in my sheets. My dad continues to scream. I cover my ears with my pillow, praying to block out the sound.

   "Seb!" I felt a small hand slap my arm. I carefully open my eyes and smile at the little girl in front of me.

   "Hey munchkin." I pat her small head. She giggles and slaps me again. "Get up, I don't like when you and daddy fight." She pouts.

   I sit up and rest my head on the backboard of my bed. "Fine." I frown. I stand up and watch Sara prance out of my room. I sigh and pick up a blue shirt lying on my bedroom floor. I slip it over my head and search for a pair of pants.

   Once I am fully clothed and I shake my hair and give myself an approving nod in the mirror. This is the best it's gonna get.

   I run down the stairs to see my father standing in front of the door. His three-piece suit is perfectly ironed. Everything about him was proper.

   "Seb, why are you always so late. You need to straighten out! You cannot destroy your life like this." He says sternly. I roll my eyes and enter the kitchen.

   "Sebastian! Listen when I am speaking to you!" He shouts.

   "I am listening! I would rather not respond." I shout back.

   "You have nothing going for you." He sighs. "I'm leaving." I grab my shoes and jacket, then storm out of the house. The door flies open. He calls my name once again, but I ignore him. I continue running until he is no longer in sight.

   I kick at the ground in anger. Every morning was like this. It consisted of my father telling me I'm a low life with no future ahead of me, and a series of other arguments. My head spins as I shrug on my jacket.

   I should have taken the car, I think. I jog the rest of the way. 

   In a way, my father was right. I can't continue to be late everyday and miss most of my classes. But I was trying. I just don't anymore.

   I'm only sixteen, I have two more years to "straighten up."

   I enter the school and race for my locker. It seems as if no one is paying attention to the boy running through the halls. I practically trip over my own feet by the time I make it to class.

   "Great job Sebastian, you're on time." Mrs. Tera laughs to herself.

   I bend over in attempt to catch my breath. I can hear the sound of my heart racing.

   "Take a seat." She insists. I huff out one last breath and sit by a window in the back row. I dig through my pockets until my hands grip my black pair of earbuds. I place them in both of my ears and slip the end of the chord in my desk.

   I don't always listen to music. Sometimes I wear them so I won't be bothered by people.

   I try my best not to zone out through the lesson. Science was great, but the sound of Mrs. Tera's voice was not.

   "Sorry I'm late!" I hear a girl say. Mrs. Tera let's her off with a warning.

   I can feel footsteps vibrating beneath my feet. Someone is coming my way. I look up for a split second to see Aria. Great, I think.

   She happily slides in the seat right beside me. I turn to see her wide blue eyes fixated on me. Something about her was different today. Her hair is usually let loose, but today it was in a messy ponytail.

   Her top is purposely two sizes too small, exposing her flat stomach. She gives me an odd look, yet does not say a word. I turn to face the front of the class again. I ignore the fact that she looks extremely attractive today.

   "Can you stop?" I ask her. I can see from the corner of my eye that she is still staring at me. "I mean, I know I'm good looking but you're kind of creeping me out." I roll my eyes. I can't help but laugh a little at her expression.

   "Don't flatter yourself." She bats her eyelashes and turns to face Mrs. Tera. Well, at least I know she doesn't always stutter.

   I huff and adjust myself in my chair. "Alright, let's make this easy. Your lab partners today will stay the same until the end of this semester. Therefore, they are your partners for this assignment." She smiles. Almost everyone groans, including myself.

   Aria rolls her eyes and reaches for two lined sheets of paper. She slides one over to me. I look down at my desk, trying my best to avoid eye contact.

   "Who's house?" She asks. Her voice is soft and graceful.

   "You can't be serious." I laugh to myself. Her eyes narrow into two slits. "Yes I'm serious! Who's house?" She asks sternly. I don't answer.

   "Fine, I'll do my part and you can fail." She smirks. I roll my eyes once again. "My house." I groan.

   "Well look at that, you're being cooperative." She smiles successfully.

   "And you're being annoying." Our gazes lock before I can stop myself from looking up. The blue orbs that sit just below her eyebrows sparkle in a way I've never seen.

   She was beautiful, there was no doubting it.

   "Why are you smiling?" She raises an eyebrow. I immediately straighten out my expression. "I'm not." I turn to the piece of paper in front of me.

   Class flies by and Aria does not say another word to me. I watch as she stacks her books and holds them tightly to her chest exposing her cleavage. My eyes widen at the sight. She doesn't seem to notice, thankfully. I stand up and walk past her. She touches my bare arm before I can exit the room.

   My shoulders immediately stiffen. It felt as if a shock of electricity had just flown through my body.

"Don't touch me." I say sternly. The look of confusion takes over her expression. "I just wanted to get your attention.." She rolls her eyes.

   I swallow loudly. My eyes find themselves drifting down her body, yet I quickly raise them up to her eyes. She shoots me a glare. "What?"

"Here's my number, text me you're address." She hands me a small slip of paper. "And stop being an ass while you're at it." She walks past me with her head held high. I watch carefully as she leaves the classroom.

I smile and slip the small white note in my pocket. She can give me her number, but it doesn't mean I will text her my address. I pat my jean pocket and make my way out of the class.

                   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

   Comment on what you thought about Sebastian's point of view! Should I publish more chapters like this? I also apologize for cutting it short. Hope you enjoyed anyways ;)

   Xoxo