14 - Restless sleepers

Aria Watson:

   I throw the covers over me, swaddling myself in the warm blanket. I lay my head on my pillow, staring at the ceiling. Thursday night.

    Sebastian hasn't said a word to me since yesterday afternoon. He seemed really upset.

   I roll around, attempting to find a comfortable position. His face won't leave my mind. He was blank. Straight faced, forcing himself to show no emotion when he dropped me off at home. Was he really angry about Lucas?

    Why does he even care? Why do I care? The year is almost over. We're finished exams and after two weeks it will be summer. Summer.

   You won't need to see him during summer. You can go your own ways. Then catch up when senior year begins. A fresh start. A new year.

   "Who am I kidding?" I say aloud, sitting up. I run my hands up my face and through my hair. I glance at my phone for the fifth time tonight.

   "What do I even say to him? Hey, Seb! I know you're infuriated with me for having a boyfriend but I think you're being a bit of a jackass about it. Oh and by the way, I can't stop fucking thinking about you!" I mutter to myself, staring at the black screen.

   I press the home button and swipe my screen, entering my password; my phone unlocks. I stare at the screen for a few minutes.

   I tap the 'phone' application and immediately dial Maya's number. I hold the phone to my right ear, tapping the bed nervously with my other hand.

   "What wrong?" A voice shrieks on the other line.

   "I love how well you know me." I sigh, falling back onto my pillow.

   "You wouldn't have called me at midnight for nothing. Spill." She demands.

   "Yesterday I took Seb out for his birthday. I didn't actually know it was his birthday, but I found out once we got in his car.." I continue to blab on.

    Once I finish explaining the entire story, I take a deep breath in. I release and finish my sentence. "And now I'm trying to sleep but he won't seem to leave my stupid brain!" I sigh hopelessly, rolling around in my sheets.

   "Wow." Is all Maya says.

   "Can we play a game?"

   "What? No! Now is not the time for games, Maya!" I run a hand through my brown hair.

    "I'll say a word, and you then reply with the first word that comes to your mind when you hear it. Trust me." She speaks softly.

    "Okay, go." I sigh.

   "Divorce?"

   "Mom."

   "Cake?"

   "Chocolate." I roll my eyes.

    "Maya, I really don't see where this is going!" I'm not in the mood for games.

   "Loca?" She continues.

   "Maya, mom."

   "Boyfriend?"

   "Lucas."

   "Best friend?"