13 - Chocolate smiles

Sebastian Peters:

Happy birthday to me, I think. Aria grips the wheel, continuing to drive.

"Stop, I can see the look of worry on your face." She states.

Yes, I am extremely worried. Aria forced me to sit in the passenger seat, claiming she was going to take me somewhere for my birthday.

"I just don't understand how your dad could be so inconsiderate!" She huffs, making a sharp turn. I watch the sleeves on her t-shirt raise as she turns the wheel. Her brown hair is tied into a ponytail, high at the top of her head.

   I sigh at the mention of my dad. "Ari, please can we change the subject." I beg.

   She nods, turning into our school parking lot. "What are we doing here?!" I ask with wide eyes. Great, what a wonderful place to come back to. I was here just an hour ago.

   I roll my eyes as she parks my car. She hops out of the front seat, and I follow.

   Aria begins sprinting towards the back of the school. "Wait!" I shout, rushing after her. We run side by side to a place I am unsure of. She stops at the edge of our school field.

    She reaches for a ball sitting on the bleachers and tosses it to me. I hold the black and white ball, smiling at it like it's my most prize possession.

   "We're going to play. Then I'm going to buy you cake. You're going to have a good birthday, okay?" I am not sure if she is telling or asking.

    I stare at the ball, then back to Aria. I hold it tightly, debating whether or not I'm ready. I haven't actually played soccer since the accident, other than the time we went to the bonfire.

   I shake my head. "I can't do it." I hand her the ball.

   "Then you're going to have to sit and watch." She hides the smile forcing its way to her round face.

   She rushes to the field, dribbling the ball with force. I obey her orders and sit on the top of the bleachers, examining Aria's every move. Her hair moves up and down at the top of her head.

   Her Nike shorts bunch up every now and then while she runs; along with her white shirt that continues to ride up her stomach. Her legs stride forward with the ball in front of her feet. With one single kick the ball flies into the net.

She turns to me and smiles successfully. I give her an approving nod.

"Now your turn!" She shouts.

I take a deep breath and stand from the bleachers. "Fine." I sigh heavily. I begin down the bleachers and onto the freshly cut grass. I shove my hands in my basketball shorts and waltz over to where she is standing.

   I rock back and forth, staring at the ball in front of me.

   "Take a shot on me." She smiles, running to the white net. The metal poles surround the perimeter of the perfectly clean net. It looks brand new, although it is several years old.

   "Come on, Seb! Don't be afraid." She grins widely.

   I shake my head, examining every feature on the soccer ball. I place my foot on top of it, rolling it around the patch of green grass. Just do it.

   A chill runs through my entire body as I begin dribbling the ball down the field. I feel my adrenaline pumping as I spin with the ball situated in front of my feet. The inside, outside and tip of my foot moves in sync with the black and white ball.