17 - What is love?

Aria Watson:

Sweat drips from my forehead, down to my feet. I wipe my face with the back of my hand, dribbling the ball. It must be at least thirty degrees out here. I pass the ball to Chelsea, a freshman.

    She carries the ball elegantly through the field, sliding it to Julie.

   Julie takes the perfect opportunity to score a goal. She curves her foot, the inside of her cleat colliding with the black and white ball. The ball flies above the grass, skimming the goalies hand as she dives for it.

   She grips the ball before it can fly into the net. I kick the ground in frustration.

    We cannot afford to loose, we are an undefeated team so far and soon scouts will be looking at us.

    I high five Julie as she jogs past me. "Ten minutes, we'll get em." I smile at her.

   She shines a hopeful smile as we wait for the goalie to throw the ball. I jump in front of one of the blue players, causing the ball to stop at my feet.

   I spin with it, carrying it throughout the small space that is left between the net and myself. I make a quick pass to Emily, who immediately shoots it into the net.

The goalie runs to the right side, diving once again. She is too slow, allowing the ball to fly into the net.

I run to Emily, slapping her right hand hard. Come on, Ravens. One more goal and we win, I remind myself.

"Let's go Ravens, let's go! Woo, woo!" I hear a boy scream.

My head snaps at Sebastian who is the only person standing on the bleachers. His head is held high as he continues his chant.

I laugh loudly, running down the field. The chant grows louder and louder as more people join.

"Em!" I yell. She makes a sharp pass towards me, the ball gliding across the dry grass. I dribble it down the field between both of my feet. I pass to Julie once again, who then makes an immediate kick to the net.

    One of our opponents blocks the kick with her chest, the ball flying to another blue player. The other brunette dribbles the ball towards our net.

    I sprint towards her, aggressively nudging her shoulder in attempt to steal the ball. I catch her off guard when my foot collides with the ball, sending it towards the other side of the field.

   Chelsea quickly runs for it, dribbling it towards the net.

   "Get open!" I yell.

    Chelsea has no one to pass to. She pushes through two blue players trying to defend the net. I watch the inside of her cleat collide with the ball. The soccer ball lifts off of the ground, skimming the goalies head.

    Their goalie is quick to react, however the ball slides through her hands and into the net.

    In a matter of seconds, the whistle blows.

    Every member of our team jumps in celebration. We run together, colliding into one large group of girls. We laugh and cheer, congratulating Chelsea on her winning goal.

    I practically topple over when everyone begins to bear hug each other. I run by everyone, giving them a quick high five on my way to the bleachers.