Chapter 18 Blood and Wet Leather

Reyna

~~~

I hold my head up as the strangers approach. They are barefoot and wild looking. There are two men and one woman. The blonde man and flame Jared woman orient themselves besides the seemingly leader.

The woman has a gift for escaping and trickery, and the man has a gift for tracking. Their leader seems to lack any special ability.

They stop before us and I inhale deeply.

I go completely tense when I get their scents.

Blood and wet leather.

Its him.

I stare with wide eyes into the red ones belonging to the man that attacked me.

It can't be.

The leader of them holds up our baseball and grins.

"I believe this belongs to you," the leader says and casually tosses the ball to Carlisle at a blinding to fast speed. Carlisle catches it easily.

The casual fun does nothing to stop the ice in my veins.

"Thank you," Carlisle says ever so politely. Their smiles do nothing to hide their offensive stances.

My attacker just stares at Bella and I all too intently.

I need his eyes off me.

"Could you use three more players?" the leader asks.

"Of course. Some of us were just leaving. You can replace them," Carlisle replies. He understands how fragile this situation is.

I take a shuddering breath and cautiously move to Edward and Bella.

"I'm Laurent. This is Victoria. And James," the leader introduces and gestures to his companions. Victoria is a fiery red head, Laurent is a muscular black man, and James....he's my worst nightmare.

His red eyes, white hair, and leather jacket that I swear my blood is on.

"Would you like to bat first?" Carlisle inquires and tosses the ball to him. Victoria catches it right before his face.

"I'm the one with the wicked curve ball," Victoria states and smirks. Laurent grabs a bat from the ground and waves it.

"Oh well I think we can handle that," Jasper chuckles. Anxiously I latch onto Bella's hand and squeeze it.

Terror keeps me from thinking clearly.

Edward tugs Bella away as soon as the three vampires move to the other side of the field. I follow them and close my eyes.

Please don't smell us.

"I'm afraid your hunting activities have caused something of a mess for us," Carlisle says clearly as the family starts to disband to positions. Alice lets Jasper take pitcher.