Chapter 20 Flee

Reyna

Reyna

~~~

My senses are on high alert as Bella drives along the dark roads of Forks.

He'll find us. James will find us and he will finish what he started.

Edward suddenly appears next to the truck. He's running beside us. I barely flinch at his sudden appearance.

"He'll forgive you," Edward says to Bella who just wipes more tears. "Ill drive slide over." Bella promptly hands the wheel to him and scoots over. He carefully holds into the wheel and crawls in the window. Bella slumps against me and I relish the feeling of having her close.

"His face... I said the same words my mother used when she left him," Bella whispers barely loud enough to hear.

"It was the only way he'd let you go," Edward murmurs and uses one hand to squeeze hers.

Blood and wet leather.

"James is following us now," I report after deeply inhaling that scent. Edward nods and slams on the gas.

"Your father's safe now, Bella. The tracker is following us," Edward assures but that doesn't at all comfort me.

I never want to look into those eyes again.

A loud thump makes me jump and momentarily panic before I turn back and see its Emmet.

"It's alright. It's just Emmett. Alice is in the car behind us," Edward reassures when Bella screams and the noise. Bella catches her breath and I rub her back. I can tell this is killing Edward seeing her so scared.

My mind wanders and I let my gaze fall out the window. In the woods I see hallucinations of James and when I close my eyes I see his red ones.

I just want him out of my head!

~~~

Slowly we pass by the diner and I stare longingly at Angela, Jessica, Eric, and Mike as they laugh and joke around.

"That should be us Bella," I utter sadly. "I'm sorry you got involved in this world."

"I'll never be sorry I got involved. I love you and I love Edward. Yes I'm scared out of my mind right now but I don't regret getting involved. I'll never regret getting involved."

My heart swells with pride and love for my sister in that moment. She looks so fierce and determined yet scared but still brave.