Chapter 1 Leaving

Reyna

Reyna

~~~

I watch as Bella digs up a small cactus and I help her pot it.

It's blisteringly hot and the sun is beating down on us relentlessly.

"I'm gonna miss this place," I sigh and brush some sand off of me.

"I'm gonna miss the heat and mom," Bella continues. Bella will surely miss the sun but I won't.

"Even Phil," I end grabbing my "juice" bottle and holding it close. Bella and I bite our lips, a twin habit, and walk up to mom. She's waiting by the car for us.

It's time for us to go.

"Bye girls I'm going to miss you so much! I love you both stay safe and stay in touch," mom gushes, hugs each of us, and kisses our heads.

"We will mom," Bella and I promise in unison.

"Reyna don't let you blood sugar drop too low, keep the juice bottle close along with your blood sugar meter. Bella watch out for your sister stay together you two," mom stresses and tugs at our jackets. I nearly laugh out loud Bella watch after me? It'll really be the other way around.

"I love you guys but we have a plane to catch," Phil yells. Mom hugs us one last time and we hop into the car.

~~~

Bella and I are leaving Phoenix, Arizona to go too Forks, Washington. It is a big change.

We're leaving because Phil and mom want to go on the road. So Bella and I are staying with our real dad Charlie, the chief of police in Forks.

I'm actually really scared and really happy to be going to Forks. It has lots of woods and it rains almost all the time, that's good. The bad thing is all the unknown factors: will dad have changed, are there bad people, and mostly how smart is everyone?

"Now girls here are your tickets don't talk to anyone but employees and safe travels," Phil guides and helps us from the car. He hugs us each goodbye and sends us off.

"I guess we are on our own now," Bella mutters as she watches the car drive away.

"Yep we are, now come on I want to be at least 30 minutes early arriving at the plane. To be safe." I grab Bella's arm and drag her out of the parking lot. I'm the most responsible one out of the two of us.

~~~

We don't talk much again while we walk through the airport or on the plane.

We are twins and we are the best friends but right now we don't have much left to say. What's done is done, no going back now.

~~~

The flight wasn't too painfully long, Bella and I watched movies the whole way. Bella had the window seat so she didn't pay much attention to the movie, she just sadly watched the warm desert disappear and the cold fog close in.

~~~

"I'm going to the bathroom be back in a sec," I tell Bella then rush into the small airplane bathroom. Once I lock the door I open my purse and reapply my concealer and hazel contacts. Smiling at my reflection I go back to my seat, just in time too, the plane is landing.

"This is gonna be great oh gosh stay positive Bella," Bella pep talks herself. I mentally roll my eyes and laugh. My sister can be so weird about things.

~~~

Charlie met us at the airport hanger.

~~~

"Dad hey I missed you," I squeal and embrace him. I really did miss dad. I've always related to him more than Bella.

"Missed you too Dad," Bella says and side hugs him.

"I missed having you girls around too," Charlie returns and ruffles our hair.

"Has the house changed at all?" I wonder as Charlie leads us to the car.

"No not at all, but I decorated your rooms," dad responds with a smile.

"Yay I can't wait to see." I clap and climb into the backseat of the car.

"Well I hope you like them you'll be inside a lot, the weather leaves something to be desired in Forks," Charlie sighs. He's fond of Forks but not of the weather.

"So it almost always rains," I say.

"Yep it's only nice maybe once every two or three weeks," Charlie exclaims. At his words I do a mental happy dance, less work for me.

"And there's woods all around with wild animals," I say hopefully.

"Yup plenty of wild life for you to photograph," Charlie answers. He thinks I do photography, so does mom.

"Mom told you I did photography?" I inquire.

"Yup," Charlie ends the conversation.

~~~

As we drive along Bella and I look out the windows curiously. I take everything in, it is so beautiful and big, plus it is raining.

~~~

We pull up to the house, the same two story house from our childhood, and I jump out speedily.

"Woah slow down," Bella says and grabs my arm.

"Sorry." I smile sheepishly at her and mentally scold myself for moving so fast.

"Fine fine come on girls."

Charlie picks up our suitcases and leads us to our rooms.

"Here's yours Reyna and yours Bella." Dad sets her suitcase down and then my suitcase on a double bed in the room next to Bella's. The two are connected with a bathroom.

"You girls like purple? The sales lady gave me purple sheets for you too," dad says.

"Yeah purples cool," Bella and I agree.

Dad smiles and walks downstairs leaving us to get settled. Dad doesn't hover, unlike mom.

My room has a purple double bed, a cork board, and a desk.

I quickly unpack everything and plug in the desk computer. Just as I finish my throat starts to get tingly. I sigh and look around for my "juice" bottle.

After finding it I take a long drink.

It's almost empty, not good. Why must life hate me so?