Chapter 22 James

Reyna

~~~

"Ready to go?" I ask Bella. She's twining her hands and staring at the wall of the room. Alice and Jasper are downstairs settling the bill and loading the car.

Her phone rings again. Bella hurriedly grabs it and checks the ID. It's mom calling. Bella sighs in relief and puts it on speaker.

"Mom, I'm so glad you got my -"

"Bella? Reyna? Where are you?" mom demands in a panicky voice.

"Calm down, Mom. Everything is fine, okay? I'll explain every-"

Loud rustling interrupts Bella and its followed by a thump. I gulp and try to swallow down worry. She probably just dropped the phone.

"Mom? Are you there?" I inquire shakily.

"Nice house you have here. Not the best on the block, but comfortable." My blood runs cold and a shiver shoots down my spine.

James.

I screw my eyes shut and squeeze my hands tightly trying to stay calm.

I can see his red eyes and sinister smile in my head. I can see him killing our mom.

"I was prepared to wait for you. But then Mom came home after she received a very worried call from your Dad. It all worked out quite well."

I open my eyes to see Bella's wild with fear.

Why? Why mom?

"I must say, Forks High School doesn't protect its students' privacy very well. It was just too easy for Victoria to find your previous address," James muses making my throat go dry.

"Bella? Reyna?" mom whimpers.

"Please leave her out of this," I beg.

"Leave my mother out of this," Bella snaps more harshly than I.

"You're protective of her. That's nice. You can still save her. But you'll need to get away from your friends. Can you do that?" Anything for mom, I'd do anything for her.

"I... don't think so," Bella stammers making my stomach twist.

"If your mother's life depends on it?"

"We can," I interject trying to keep the terror out of my voice.

I look to Bella, we're both horrified, but there's no choice here.

"Where should we meet you?" Bella asks. I can almost see his sadistic grin and he chuckles.

"The old ballet studio around the corner. And I'll know if you bring anyone along. Poor mommy would pay the price for that mistake," James threatens and inhales deeply. "She smells like you. Delicious."

The connection goes dead and Bella drops her phone.

"We have to go. Right now," I say and she nods.

"We need a weapon," Bella mutters and starts throwing open draws and looking all over. I dash between both rooms for for any semblance of a sharp object.

Nothing.

"The pepper spray!" Bella exclaims and I suddenly remember. Charlie have us pepper spray!