Familiar Faces | 17.0

Skylar's P.O.V.

"So here's what were going to do," Carl whispered, crouching down lower on his knees. "I'm going to sneak out the door, crouching down low so they won't see me. I'll do it quick, then I'll hide somewhere out there. They'll hear the bell, rush out the door, and then you'll make a run towards the woods."

"Okay, sounds good," I mumbled, twiddling with my fingers. "But what if-"

"It will work. Trust me." He flashed an excited grin towards me, as if he was super confident that his plan will follow through safely.

Then he crouched away, keeping close to the floor as possible, making it so that they wouldn't see him. I could still hear their faint voices from the back of the store, so it was a high chance they wouldn't see him. Before I knew it, the ching of the bell rung through my eardrums, and Carl escaped through out the door.

All of a sudden, the thumps of the strangers' footsteps grew louder as they approached the door and exited outdoors. I lifted my head above the aisle lanes to get a quick glimpse of their faces.

It was a woman and a guy, both looked fairly young, maybe in their late twenties. The woman had pure, olive skin and short, wavy brunette hair, pulled back into a low ponytail.

The man was very tall, lean, with very long hair, down his back. It was pulled into a ponytail like the girl's.

They both had rifles hanging from their shoulders, along with a pistol in their back pockets. They definitely were prepared to be out here, I wouldn't want to mess with them.

Man, these people looked oddly familiar. I didn't like the feeling. Whatever.

Relieved that they were finally gone, I let out a breath and the lump in my throat disappeared. I looked around one last time out the door before taking a run for the woods, almost stumbling over a stone.
Unfortunately, I let out a whimper and I could hear the scowls and moans of walkers heading my way.

"Ah crap." I cursed, and quickly brought myself to my feet, running as fast as I could.

Scared almost half to death, a pair of hands wrapped around my waist and pulled me to safety.

"Shit Carl! I thought you were one of the walkers!" I mumbled profanities under my breath and slowed down my pace.

"My apologies," he said nearly out of breath. "Thought I lost ya back there."

"Yeah, me too," I glanced over at him to see his sweaty face. "I swear, I was way too scared. God, who were those people?"

"As if I know," he paused. "Damn, you're hot, Sky."

I rolled my eyes and let out a sigh, knowing I've heard that statement at least 10 times in the last hour. "Uh, whatever."

~~~~~

We finally arrived back to Alexandria, and boy, Carl was drenched in his sweat and we were out of breath. I know I still had the frightened look on my face, so it was hard to hide the fact that something "traumatic" just occurred.

"Sky, we can't tell my dad about what just happened."

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, biting the inside of my cheek in the process. "Uh, why not?"

"Just don't, okay? There's no need." He concluded, wiping his forehead with the back of his hand.

I rolled my eyes, and quickly walked away, guiding my way to my bedroom. I figured, he probably didn't want me to notify Rachael about what just happened either. Maybe he's afraid of something. What the hell, oh well.