To The Fortress

Evie

Anthony's story shocked me. I had no idea other vks had it as hard as Mal, Carlos, Jay, and I did. As he told us his story, the memories of mine came back. A chill pierced my spine, making me shiver.

"Wow." We all said, speechless of the vk's story. A silence rang throughout the air, creating a building tension between the five of us.

"Lets go, we have a long way till the fortress." I raised my head from my tortoise blue shoes to Mal, who had spoken.

"Okay," I said softly.

Jay and Carlos went first, followed by Anthony, Mal, and myself. Jay chopped off branches, Anthony, Mal, and I sliced at vines, and Carlos sprayed bugs coming our way. We continued this rhythm until we made it to Maleficent's fortress.

We all took a deep gulp of air and moved one foot onto the old brick bridge. Nothing happened. Carlos eyed the gargoyles, but they didn't turn on like before.

"Mal?" I asked, "How come nothing happened?"

We all waited a few moments before a soft voice answered.

"Maybe," Mal took another step, "The magic is gone. And there's no o way to bring it back."

What Mal said made sense and gave me the courage to follow her across the bridge. I started with one foot and now is on the other side of the crossway. Moments later, the boys were next to me. Jay lead the way to the castle and we heard a beep.

"What was that?" Anthony asked, turning around.

"My machine." Carlos whispered.

"You brought it?" Mal asked, bewildered.

"Yes, I thought it would help us."

"But why did it beep?" Jay jumped in, "I thought Mal said there was no magic."

I started to think, what if there is a different type of magic. I watched Mal ad she walked over to Carlos and jumped at a sound.

*Beep*

"Mal," I said slowly.

"Yeah?"

"Do you still have magic?"

"I-I don't know." M stammered.

"Maybe you're right the reason 'its' beeping." Anthony suggested.

"You think I still have magic?" Mal asked, hope flooding into her eyes.

"At least try." Carlos said, giving her a nudge.

"Okay." Mal closed her eyes and spoke a very familiar charm. "Beware, forswear, make me bare, black hair."

I watched, astonished by the green smoke, covering Mal. When she reappeared,her hair was as dark as the night. I let out a small gasp.

"It worked!" I told Mal.

"It did?" She touched her hair, bringing it into her vision.

"Amazing!" Jay exclaimed.

"Perfect! Location let's go!" With that, we made our way into the now, deserted castle.

"Here we go again." I muttered to myself before stepping into the darkness.

A/n

Hey guys! Sorry the chapter took so long to post. I didn't have Wi-Fi for awhile, but now do!

My next chapter may be posted tomorrow or Wednesday.

So what did you all do for Memorial Day and what so you think is going to happen next on the story? Let me know in the comments below.

Oh, and 993 reads right now! Hopefully, this chapter will give me 1k! Almost there!😜

Thanks

Odessa💖