Daddy's Hair Cut - Bucky Barnes

Bucky's long brown hair had been a staple in his look well before the time I had known him. My summer internship with Tony Stark and an eventual full-time job with the Avengers had introduced me to the ex-assassin who became the love of my life and husband with time.

Settling down with the blue-eyed man had been one of the easiest decisions I have ever made. He was one of the most thoughtful, caring men I had ever met. Constantly putting my needs and wants before his.

Despite his job's scariness, continuing to work with the Avengers, and going on smaller (usually more dangerous) missions with Sam and Steve, we had created a semi-normal life for the two of us. The house with the large yard and the golden retriever that pounced on Bucky the moment he got home like he couldn't believe he was finally home... It was perfect.

The day we found out about our daughter, though, made everything just a bit sweeter. The pregnancy had been a complete accident. Bad timing and forgetfulness came into play, but it wasn't like she wasn't wanted and adored the moment the doctor confirmed the news to the two of us. Sometimes life's sweetest moments come as complete surprises.

When she was born, I saw a change in Bucky. A positive switch in his whole demeanor. No moment compared to the one where Bucky held Winnie for the first time. Naming her after his late mother was Bucky's idea, something he had longed for every time the subject of names came up when I was pregnant. And subsequently, I couldn't help but fall in love with the name when he suggested it. It was a perfect way to honor a mother who would never get to see her own child's happiness.

As Winnie grew, it was clear Bucky was tightly wound around her finger. He did everything with our daughter. Played tea party, let her play makeover with him, even convinced Sam and Steve to join in on the fun. He was head over heels for his precious little girl.

When he brought up cutting his hair to a length similar to pictures he'd shown you of himself and Steve in the army back in the '40s, I had to admit, I was intrigued. His hair always felt like a part of him. Something unchanging in his appearance, yet... I thought he was quite handsome in the photographs.

"I just want a change. Don't you think I should change it up? It reminds me of the past..." He asks in bed. Winnie had kept him occupied for nearly an hour, requesting bedtime stories and a snack to comply with her bedtime rules. Winnie was successful nearly every night in tricking Bucky into playing these games. Part of me knew he enjoyed this extra time just as much as she did.

"I think you should do whatever feels right. If cutting your hair will make a difference for you, than you should do it. it'll always grow back out if you decide you don't like it." I snuggle into his side, trying to get my extra hour with Bucky. Even if Winnie was just under two, she understood the value of extra time with Bucky. I couldn't blame her for her little tricks.

***

Sunlight streams across my sleepy eyes. The bed is empty but still warm, blankets thrown back on Bucky's side of the bed. I know for a fact, my loves are in the living room watching cartoons and playing with Winnie's toy cars.

Stretching, I climb out of the warmth of my bed, slipping on my favorite slippers and the robe I received for Mother's Day last year. Quietly, I walk down the hall to stand hidden as I watch them.

Bucky's got his hair in a messy bun as he talks quietly with Winnie. If there is one thing I'm going to miss about Bucky's hair, it's the effortless and very sexy way he styles it. I've always loved the way he looked with his hair up.

Winnie squeals, babbling in her incoherent toddler way as she rolls a red, wooden truck across the carpet.

"What do you think, Winnie? Should we go wake mommy up, or make breakfast?"