Chapter 014: The Expiration Date

            The closing and award ceremony was conducted smoothly and finished off by noon. It gave ample time for the students of the five schools to prepare for the formal festivities by afternoon. By late evening, everyone would be partying wildly until the night completely wastes away.

            Trinity and I decided to make preparations at my place. With her endless coaxing three days before, the dresses we were going to wear had been bought and paid for.

            “You better hurry up in the shower, Mage!” I heard Trina call out to me behind the bathroom door.

            I was wrapping a towel around my head when I yelled back, “I’m almost done!” 

            Coming out of the shower room, I saw Trinity staring at herself in front of the mirror already wearing the Clarisse 2230 dress that she had bought from one of the boutique shops in the city. I had always compared my best friend to a Grecian deity for her ethereal beauty. To see hear wearing the swirling white dress with golden trim and how perfectly matched it looked with her hair curled up with golden accessories that slithered around it, I really believed that Trinity North was a resurrected modern version of Aphrodite.

            “Well, what are you just standing there for?” Trinity said, staring at me through the mirror.

            “You look ready,” I commented with an impressed smile on my face.

            “And you are not,” she chastised. “Why does it always take you an hour to finish your bath? I mean, do you sleep there or something?”

            “Trinity you’re beautiful without even trying,” I retorted sternly. “Some people have to work at it to even try to look beautiful. For people like me, preparation is the key.”

            “You give yourself less credit than you deserve, Maegerie,” she said while trying to put the golden ring earrings on her ears. Finally facing me, she added, “Come on, dry up. It’s time to do some magic.”

            If there is one more thing you can credit Trina other than her blessed physical appearance, it is her ability to make a nobody into a somebody with her amazing knowledge in fashion. She can turn a demon lady like me into a decently pretty girl, which definitely beats the ugly duckling transformation in children’s books.

            Using her artistic prowess, Trina painted my face with expensive make-up. She refused to let me see how I looked as she repeatedly claimed that works of art should only be seen when completed.

            Once she was done with my make-up, she focused on styling my hair. She initially struggled in combing my hair, which she never failed to complain about until I was tangle-free.

            “Dear lord, Maegerie! Do you even shampoo your hair at all?” She complained while tugging a portion of my hair with a brush.

            “I resent that comment!” I yelled back at her, tolerating the pain of having my hair yanked out of my scalp.

            After almost half an hour of having Trina toss, twist and braid my hair on her whim, she finally completed the task of making my hair behave itself for once.

            "And now, the dress!" She heralded as if anyone else other than me was going to be able to hear her declaration. "Now, close your eyes."