Chapter 17

For ilse2512

A/N: Sorry for a short chapter. Also, I wanted to post a new story, but it's a kellic and I know that those aren't read as much. But I might. Or not. I don't really even know anymore.

"Good morning." I smiled up at Mitch who groggily stumbled into the kitchen. He held his head in his hands.

"Shh. No yelling." I laughed quietly. He was experiencing his first hang over. I went to get him a bottle of water. I guess he wouldn't be doing this anytime soon. Firstly, because I wouldn't let him. Secondly, I think the hang over taught him not to drink without first getting some water in his stomach. I waited for his headache to go away before talking to him. We were both sitting on the couch, something playing on the tv as a distraction.

"You know, the holidays are coming up." He nodded. I waited to see if he wanted to go anywhere. I took his silence as a no. "We should go back to family. Just to get a little rest from all this hectic traveling." He looked up at me.

"You know all this means the world to me, right? That I'm not rotting in some hospital wishing something like this could happen to me. This is like a whole big dream come true." I pulled him into my arms and held him. We stayed like that until the plane called for us to leave. Then we were back on the plane. I was in bed watching Mitch fold his cranes.

"How many do you have?"

"Two hundred eighty six." He continued to fold the birds. I wonder why he was doing this.

"What's this for?"

"A wish." He answered simply. I watched him fold more and more cranes. Then he stopped at three hundred. He fell back on the bed with a sigh.

"What would you wish for?" There was a long moment of silence that he was using to think. I watched the emotions pass over his face.

"If it actually worked, world peace." A sharp pain went through my heart.

"You wouldn't wish away the cancer?" He shrugged.

"What's the point of just helping myself when other are more in need? Like this could save starving people and finish nuclear war. I can't imagine being selfish when other people are going through thing worse than me." He shrugged. I slipped my hand into his.

"I would be selfish." He looked at me in confusion. "I would wish for you to be better. I would wish you were safe and that nothing more could hurt you. I don't want to lose you." He gave my hand a little squeeze.

"It will all work out in the end."