Chapter 8

For AnnMarieThrush

A/N: I know it's short but this is just a filler chapter. The fun is about to start ;)

"When are we leaving?" Mitch squeezed my hand to get my attention. I was watching as his family walked in front of us. "I can only take so much of my family at a time."

"I don't think I've ever been tired of my family. Maybe when the press was all over." He pulled me off the main path. He was grabbing my shirt with both hands.

"I want to go. It's been a week." He back himself up against a tree.

"One month." He gave me a quick kiss. "One week." The kiss was a little longer that time. "Two days." Again the kiss last longer than the one before. "One day." Longer. "Now."

"Mm-hmm." His arms made their way around my neck as he made the kiss deeper. "Say you love me." I rolled my eyes at him.

"Why?" He shoved my shoulder playfully.

"Just say it." He brought me back into a gentle kiss.

"I love you." I murmured against his lips. I felt him smile.

"I love you too." I took a step back to look at him. I was completely surprised by his response. "Wait, come back to me." He stuck his bottom lip out in a pout.

"Mitch-"

"I'm serious." It took me a couple seconds to bring him into a kiss. He laughed at me. "You're a dork."

"Come on." When Mitch went to take a step forward, he collapsed to his knees. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." He sat back on his butt. "Walking is not the same as it use to be."

"Here." I put my back to him and knelt down. He made his way to wrap his arms around my neck an his legs wrapped around my waist. I could feel his excited heartbeat. "Does that feel okay?" He kissed my cheek.

"I love you."

"Say it again." I felt his breath on my ear as he whispered.

"I love you." I would never get tired of hearing him say that. As we got back on the main trail, Mitch's family was backtracking to find us.

"Did something happen?" Mike ran forward to look at his son.

"I'm fine, papa. My legs just got a little tired before the rest of my body. Scott saved me." Mitch tightened his legs around my waist. I smiled up at him. "Giddy up horsey!" He hit my thighs with his feet.

"I'm not going to be a horse."

"Come on. It goes with your freakishly long legs." I laughed.

"Are you sure you aren't just short?" He kissed my neck and stayed silent. I feel like I won that one. We went back to the house and began packing. We explained everything about how we were on a tight schedule and that we needed to do all this before something disabled Mitch for awhile.

"Scott?" I turned towards Mitch's mom. I reluctantly left Mitch in the bedroom alone to go talk to her. "You love me son, right?"

"More than anything." She started tearing up as her thoughts seemed to sink in.

"You'll bring home, right?"

"O-of course." She shook her head.

"I mean, you'll bring him home if anything goes wrong?"

"Mrs. Grassi, I would never take away your son like that." She wiped the tears away with her thumb.

"Take him away from his disease, Scott. He deserves to be normal." The only thing I could bring myself to do was nod. Then when Mitch and I finally said goodbye to his family and got on the plane, I hugged him from behind. I felt the tears blink out of my eyes.

"Scott?" He turned around in my arms. He wiped the tears from under my eyes. "What's wrong?"

"Do I make you happy?"

"Yes. So happy...." His fingers brushed across my cheek. "And you know, I don't care if we have sex. I don't care when." The tears were building in him now. "I was afraid that if you....if I said I loved you, that you would would panic. I wanted to put it off as long as I could."

"Mitch-"

"I meant it. I meant it....and if I die, I want you to know how I truly feel." I kissed his cheek.

"I'm glad you did."

"Where to now?" I tapped the tip of his nose with my pointer finger.

"You'll see."