Chapter 6: Piece of Junk

I stretched and reached for my suitcase, shoulders stiff from the long drive. I was about to carry it up to the dorm when I froze, a familiar feeling creeping over me.

I turned to search, and yes, there he was, sitting on a bench drinking coffee, innocently reading a newspaper.

Was it my imagination? Was it a coincidence? Was that bench his morning stop for coffee, and did he go to my college, and did he always manage to choose the same places to eat lunch?

I felt like screaming. Every sense said that he was stalking me, but I had never caught him looking at me. Never, not even when I turned quickly.

Whatever. Just get your suitcase up to your room and lock the door.

I hurried up to my room and slammed the door, breathing hard. I peeked out of the window, but Creepface was just sitting on the bench, reading. I studied him – straight black hair cut neatly, strong eyebrows, straight nose, wide lips, and glasses with black frames. He dressed neatly most of the time, not a business suit but something a person would wear to an office for an average workday.

Who was he? Where did he work? Did he work? It certainly didn't seem like he had anyplace to be.

I thought about calling the police again, but they wouldn't believe me any more than they had the first two times.

Shivering, I clutched my coat tighter and turned away from the window. Reaching into my pocket, I started some music on my phone, and busied myself with unpacking. I had just started to relax when the doorknob rattled, and I dropped my shoes, tensing up.

"Chunhwa! Why did you lock it? I can't find my key!" Jisuk called.

I slumped my shoulders in relief, putting down the fists that I hadn't even realized I'd put up. Stupid! A stalker wouldn't knock. I doubted I'd ever been happier to hear my roommate's voice.

I opened the door and pulled Jisuk in for a hug. She laughed. 

"I missed you too, silly," she said, not noticing my trembling. "How was your Christmas break?"

"Great, just great." I sighed and backed away. "It was fantastic."

She looked at me as she set her purse down. "What's bothering you?"

I shook my head. "Not much. Creepface was outside on that bench again."

Jisuk went over to the window. "He's gone now. Honestly, Chunhwa, why don't you go talk to him sometime and ask him what he's doing?"

"No way!"

"Okay, fine. Anyways, Christmas. You went home?"

"Yep. It was so nice to see my family."

"I did too. I talked to some old friends that I hadn't seen in ages. How about you? Any old friends?"

I grinned at her. She was a pry, but she wasn't mean about it. She knew when to butt in and when to leave me alone.

"Well, first of all my brother was in town. My friend – you know Areum who's dating Seulgi? – came over often. So that was nice. And Areum's brother came into town."

"Oh?" Her interest perked up, and I regretted mentioning Namjoon. "A friend's brother?"

"Jisuk–"