Chapter 14: Seventy-two Hours

Author's note: Three quick things. First, this story is taking turns that I didn't plan when I started it, which is fantastic and also means I need to plan my next story better before I write it. However, it also means that the description, title and cover might need to be changed. So keep tuned for that. Second, I hope RM is able to rest and heal so his leg(s) can get better! Third, I never got a chance to properly enthuse. Boy Meets Evil was FANTASTIC! I've been waiting for J-Hope's comeback trailer since Nevermind, and it far exceeded all my expectations! J-Hope truly is the Golden Hyung! And the teaser for Blood, Sweat and Tears is awesome! Good thing the music video comes out in just a few days. Anyways, here's Chapter 14!

***

Wednesday, Hajun was still absent. In the afternoon, his family went to the police.

I had just gotten home Wednesday night when someone knocked on the door. Dragging myself off the couch where I'd collapsed, I went over to answer the door. When I opened it, a uniformed officer stood there.

"Excuse me, does Jeong Chunhwa live here?"

"I'm Jeong Chunhwa," I said.

"I'm Officer Kim Yeongho," he said. "I'm the officer in charge of Seong Hajun's case, and I'd like to ask you a couple of questions." He looked uncomfortable.

I hesitated. "Come in," I said at last.

As he walked into the better light, I saw his face in more detail. "You're quite young to be in charge of a missing person case, aren't you?"

"My superiors are quite sure the man went somewhere of his own free will and will return. So they put me on it." He stood stiffly in the entry.

"You can sit down if you'd like," I said, motioning to the table. I pulled out a chair for myself.

"Thank you," he said, and sat down with his back straight. "I just have a couple of questions."

"Okay," I said.

He pulled a notebook out of his pocket and looked at a page. "The last time you saw him is?"

"Monday night around five-thirty when he left work," I said.

"And he normally left at this time?"

"Usually a bit earlier, but yes."

He scribbled on his notepad. "Did he say where he was going?"

"No, but I assumed he was going to his family's restaurant to help like usual. His family was expecting him to show up that night."

"How did he travel?"

"I'm not sure, but he usually took the bus." Seeing interest in the officer's face, I gave him the bus's route number.

He wrote again. "Thank you, that's useful. Had you noticed any abnormal behavior?"

"No, not at all."

He sighed. "Do you know of anything out of the ordinary happening to him recently?"

"No," I said slowly.

He looked me in the eyes for the first time. "You're hesitating," he stated.

"Nothing strange happened to him that I know of, but... something weird did happen that day. Just a little thing," I said, knowing that it probably didn't have anything to do with Hajun. "I found a rose on my desk, but it wasn't from Hajun and nobody had seen who put it there." My cheeks started burning as I realized how trivial that sounded.