Chapter 9: Seong Hajun

I smiled to myself as I waved goodbye to my family. The few days' break over Christmas had flown by, and now I was headed back to college. I had loved seeing my parents again, but something had seemed strange with Seulgi. And I hadn't seen Areum hardly at all.

I sighed. I knew they'd had a rough year, for reasons only they knew. It seemed like seventy percent of their fights didn't need to happen, but what did I know? I was only a sister and best friend.

My mind was filled with thoughts of the conference happening next month. They were having a second conference, a bit later than last year; and while I hadn't been invited to read an essay this year, my boss had sent me to do an article on it. I was looking forward to being able to attend without a cloud hanging over my head.

And no surprise acquaintances, hopefully. I still wasn't sure why Kim Namjoon had showed up to hear my essay, but it wouldn't do me any good to dwell on it.

I was especially hoping to attend the domestic violence session for this year – I had heard that they were beginning a special initiative, the discussion of which had reportedly been sparked by my humble essay.

I smiled – Namjoon had been right. I hadn't seen it, but my essay did make an impression on last year's audience.

I had no right to have so much. A family that loved me, a brain that (sometimes) worked surprisingly well, and a way to use that brain in an influence for good. I still was sometimes amazed at the opportunities that came my way.

Someone's horn honked, and I was startled out of my reverie. I'd made this drive so many times, and it seemed like I always ran into – what a poor choice of words! – some drivers infected with road-rage.

I slowed a bit to let the hasty driver pass, and resumed my steady rate. I was not in a hurry – I was merely happy.

*

Actually humming, I walked down the stairs from my apartment and out into the fresh snow. It was a cold walk to my college, but it was good to get some fresh air, and some natural light.

I arrived at the newspaper office, getting out my key. I was the earliest one in today, which was odd. I didn't remember getting any emails about office closure or delay today.

Oh well, it was the first day back from Christmas break. It sometimes took people longer to come in on days like this.

I was moving around, turning lights on and unlocking the copier room, when I heard a knock. I looked at the front doors and saw an unfamiliar man, peering in. I walked over to the door and opened it a crack, feeling very alone. "Yes?"

The young man cleared his throat and stuck out his hand. "I'm Seong Hajun, and I just got a job here with the student newspaper. Do you work here too? Well, I mean, of course you do. But..." he trailed off and looked at the ground, blushing.

I smiled gently. I'd been nervous, too, my first day. "I'm Jeong Chunhwa. I work as one of the columnists. Welcome." I shook his hand firmly. "Seong Hajun, you said? Seong is somewhat of an uncommon family name."

He smiled awkwardly. "You have a pretty name," he blurted out, and I blinked.

"Thank you," I said slowly.

"Sorry, sorry," he said. He looked around at the empty office and shuffled his feet. "You... can't be the only one working here?"

"No," I said, laughing. "No, they're all late this morning, for some reason. I think I'll boot up my computer and see if there were any email updates during the night."