Chapter 17: Stay Away

I rechecked the article I'd just finished, and sent it to Park Doyun. I leaned back, closing my eyes. I was so hungry.

My phone buzzed, and I looked at it to see that it was 10:30 p.m. and Jisuk was calling.

"Hello, Jisuk." I started gathering my things together.

"Chunhwa, you're still alive."

I sighed. "Sorry. The reporter is still in the hospital, so I'm still writing some of his articles."

"That must've been a really bad car crash. It's been three days, right?"

"Mhm." My backpack slipped out of my hands, and I winced as it thumped on the floor.

"Are you okay?" Jisuk said immediately.

"Yes, I'm fine."

"Good."

"Now who's jumpy?" I asked.

"It's your fault, with all your suspicions. Has anything else happened?"

"No. It's confusing. I thought for sure everything was building up to a breaking point, and that whoever was behind the killing would be coming after me next, but nothing has happened in months. It's eerie - like a crescendo that swells into silence."

"You and your similes." She laughed. "Will you be home soon?"

"I'm about to leave. Is there something quick to eat?"

"I'll find something. You did eat supper, right?"

"Yeah, but I'm still hungry." Swinging my backpack up, I started walking toward the stairs. "I'll see you in a while, okay?"

"Drive safe."

I put my phone in my backpack and hurried up the stairs. Stopping at the door of Park Doyun's office, I peeked in the open door.

"Are you leaving?" he asked, standing up.

"Yes, I finished those articles and sent them to you."

"Good. Thanks for filling in."

He walked with me toward the elevator. This was the third time I'd wound up staying quite late, and both previous evenings he'd insisted on walking me to my car, since my temporary parking space was three blocks away.

"Not going to protest this time?" he asked.

"No, I do really appreciate it."

Walking into the darkness, I looked around and headed toward the car. Park Doyun followed me silently. It made me feel a bit strange, to have my boss walking me to my car, but whatever. If he insisted, then it would be rude to refuse.

"Thank you," I said, reaching my car and unlocking it. "Good night."

"Good night."

Locking the doors once I was in the car, I started it up, wincing at the screech it emitted.

*

I gathered together the remnants of my lunch, sighing as I looked around the park. I'd been coming here almost every day, and I loved being away from all the chaos that was the news outlet.

Picking up my bag, I started heading toward my parking spot. As I turned, I saw someone waving at me.

Looking back, I saw a man with green hair and a mask over his face. He was waving at me from across the park, with a childlike enthusiasm.