12. 90's Mood

LUNA

The day of the party had arrived and the vibe around the house was palpable. We were told our outfits, or, as I'd like to call them — costumes — would be delivered soon and I could tell the ladies were all eager to be the first in line to get their hands on the best pieces of clothing available.

Three knocks to the front door interrupted the conversation being held in the front lobby and Tiana, a very beautiful, tall and slim dark-skinned female, moved closer to the door.

As she opened it, she made way for the two thirsty-ish men to walk in, dragging along three racks of the most colorful and patterned items along with them. Our group simultaneously got up to move closer to it and as we were further out in the back, I simply giggled at the commentary Joyce and Kristin threw at each other.

There were no pre-assigned outfits for each of us, therefore we were acting on a first-come, first-served base, which wasn't ideal for me as I was facing second-to-last chances of getting at least a valuable piece.

Hangers flew off in each female's hands and the racks got quickly empty, as did the room we stood in. The competition was fierce and not wanting to see me get left behind, Joyce stretched her arm in my direction, pulling me towards her onto the front line, where I was finally able to take a good look at it.

It was there I spotted a white Tommy Hilfiger tube top and grabbed it before anyone else got their hands on it; while pondering what else would go along with it. I noticed some baggy boyfriend-type jeans to my left and I figured that'd match.

Off to the right of the room, they set up a disposal of different accessories, from jewelry to shoes and even some rather cute hats. The number of heels or sandals was null at this point, so I grabbed a pair of Timberland boots that happened to match my size and soon made my way out of the area. Trying to look for either one of my roommates within this mess wasn't the best idea so I just made my way back to our room upstairs.

Just as I finished laying my clothes on my bed, their familiar laughing sounds came in the room. It seems as if they'd just came back from Black Friday, with the amount of clothes they had piled up to their necks.

"All that?" I questioned.

"A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do" Joyce commented, as they both dropped the pile almost simultaneously onto their respective beds.

"We will be looking like TLC tonight."  

"Change that to Destiny's Child and I'll be Beyoncé, obviously."

Kris' frown made us all crack and share further jokes and comments with each other and with this constant atmosphere, these ladies sure knew how to get me in the mood to let loose and have some fun, which is something I couldn't remember doing ever since my college days.

Time flew by rather fast and it was nearly show time! You could say it was the first day at the mansion where everyone seemed to be at peace with one another and the feeling of lightness was transpiring. It could, however, be the calm before the storm.

Getting ready was a fun process and everyone anticipated what was to come. A fun party is always welcomed to break us from our daily routines at the house so the unison singing coming from all divisions was a must. 

Even after looking through what my roommates had brought, I stuck to my tube-top-baggy-jean outfit, staying true to my East Side styling. The outfit didn't call for elaborate accessories, so I opted on dolling up my make-up — sticking to shades of nude and gold, but enhancing my lips with the typical red-tinted 90's lip gloss and lip liner. For hair, a high sleek ponytail topped off with large waves did the trick.