17. Ready, Set, Cook

LUNA

The first thing I noticed upon rubbing my eyes, was how empty the room was feeling after last night's events. My roommate, or at least one of them, had been eliminated, leaving me in this huge mansion feeling smaller than I had ever felt.

After Kristin's elimination, my exhaustion got the best of me so I hadn't had the chance to speak with Joyce about it, or see her ever since.

The process of getting up and preparing felt weird, having no one to say good morning to and joke around in the morning. Not minding how I'd look, I simply handled my skincare routine and placed my hair in a side-braid, before changing into some white skinny jeans and a matching top.

The way down the stars was awfully quiet and I soon noticed the mansion's only available clock marking 12:00 PM as I walked into the kitchen. No one was in it, but there were a few grocery-looking paper bags sitting on top of the counter, which wasn't usual as production would often get the food prepared for us in advance. I decided to brush pass it and grab an apple from the fruit bowl, sitting in one of the empty kitchen stools.

I sat there calmly finishing my apple when I heard a commotion coming from the main entryway of the mansion. I frowned while making my way to the doorframe and almost chocked on a piece of my apple when noticing the ladies standing around Chris, Odell and a few other familiar faces from that one party we'd held at the house, so I rushed back inside the kitchen to throw the rests out.

After prepping myself, both mentally and physically, I walked out slowly and stood by the couch where most of the contestants sat.

"Greetings ladies!" Chris, now dressed in a more casual manner, greeted, earning a few replies. "I bet you are surprised to receive this many visitors without a warning, well I must announce we have something special planned for the day, right Odell?"

"That is right, g'morning to all."

The cameras had quite rapidly placed themselves throughout the room and we could only look at both men, expectantly.

"We were cut short on three lovely ladies yesterday and competition is getting fierce, so it's only valid that we spice things up a little bit this week, with a challenge." Chris paused, enhancing his spices pun and smiling at our reactions. "The winner will get the chance to go on a date with our bachelor, so make it count. Odell, care to announce what we have ahead?"

"Today we have a cooking challenge ahead of us, so I'm excited!" He announced, rubbing his hands together.

"That is right, a cooking challenge but with a twist. No one will know who cooked what, in order to have a fair result. And to help him judge, Odell brought some close friends with him."

My attention drifted towards the men who stood by Odell, thinking back on when I'd met them. One of the faces was rather familiar from the 90's party held last week — his cousin. The other two I wasn't so sure but they looked rather similar to him, broad shoulders and tall in height. But no matter how handsome they may have been, he still managed to overshadow them.

After their announcement, I'd noticed some of the reactions in the room. Amusing, to say the least. It was fun to have a different dynamic brought into the house and it would be interesting to see what each lady would bring to the table.

As we were given further instructions and permission to head to the kitchen, it soon clicked the paper bags from before contained all types of ingredients necessary for each female to design their own dishes.

I didn't have to think much as soon as Odell mentioned a cooking challenge — it was clear I'd want to honor one of my mother's taught recipes.

Both my parents were great cooks, each holding onto their cultural background strongly, which allowed me to grow surrounded by amazing home-cooked meals, delicious smells and the family dinner traditions in my household. A tasteful dish was never missing from our home.