Prologue

The Creators of The Game

A hallway, filled with beams of sunlight stretched through the holy place, home to the people of good will. White, fluffy clouds spread throughout the sunset-orange sky. Every now and then, beautiful singing could be heard all around. But right now, all was quiet. You could hear a squeak from the tiniest mouse. 

A hooded figure was walking down the hallway. His face was hidden beneath the shadow of the cloak, along with the rest of him. He continued walking in silence, for what seemed like hours. Although his feet hit the ground, no sound was to be heard. Finally, he arrived at two, massive oak doors. They were both decorated with glistening jewels, from blood red rubies to bright green emeralds. He stood there for a moment, before knocking on the door with a battered hand. The noise echoed, bouncing from wall to wall.

"Come in" a voice said.

Both doors opened slowly, revealing a small, office like room. A small desk sat at the center of the room. A quill, an ink bottle, and a blank sheet of paper lay on top. A leather armchair was seated behind the desk. Shelves covered all but one wall, each stacked with books, and to be more specific, Bibles. The one wall without books bore a large window, recently cleaned. Light seeped into the room from the spotless pane.

A young man stood in front of the window, starting out at the beautiful scenery. His back was turned to the figure. He had wavy almond colored hair, and an average build for his age. He wore a white robe, and plain brown sandals. But what stuck out the most were the large, magnificent wings extending from his shoulder blades. There were two slits in the robe, allowing the wings to unfurl. He was an angel, a resident of His kingdom. 

The hooded figure coughed slightly.

"You called for me?" he asked in a deep voice.

"I did indeed"

Pause.

"...Well, then what for? It is unlike you to call for no reason, Jacob"

Jacob turned around, and chuckled softly. His pale blue eyes landed oh the figure.

"I presume you know why, since I always ask for you at this time of year, Slate"

"Uh, no. I do not know. Will you kindly explain to me?" Slate responded sarcastically.

Jacob gave him an annoyed look, his feathers ruffled.

"You know. The test you must initiate every twelve months? The trial set for man, to demonstrate wether they are worthy of the Heavens, or if they will fall into the pits of fire down in Hell? Like you did?" He explained innocently.

Although Jacob could not see his facial features, he could feel Slate's glare, filled with loathing and hatred.

"Save it, Feathers. I could kill you in two seconds flat, if ol' Gabriel here'd let me" he growled.

"Ahh, but you can't. Guess you don't have the best luck" Jacob responded with superiority.

Slate bit back an angry retort.

"Anyways, what's it gonna be this year? Who are our lucky participants this time, or should I say, unlucky?" Slate asked drily.

"Oh, don't sound so uninterested, you angsty teenager!" Jacob joked.

"I left Earth at an older age than you...." Slate muttered.

"No matter. I've been up here longer than you. As I was saying, it's quite appealing this year. Now, as you know, this trial will provoke man's greed, and his willingness for good. This time, my friend, you will commence it through..."

"Romance" he rolled the 'r' and lengthened the 'c', ending with a hiss.

"Romance, you say? Yes, I'm listening..." Slate said, intrigued.

Jacob waved his hand, and seeming to come out of no where, and image of two men popped up. The first wore a plain black shirt, and dark blue jeans. A peculiar necklace with a 'Z' on it hung around his neck. He had ginger hair, and a beard to go along with it. His eyes were a rich, almost black, brown.

The other wore a plain whit shirt, and light blue jeans. He had a brown, leather jacket, hanging over his shoulder. He had soft, brown curly hair. His eyes were a deep blue, deeper than the depths of the ocean. Glasses were placed on the bridge of his nose.

"These are the ones you'll be working with. But only the red head is being tested. I did mention romance, so you could use glasses over here as a tool, I was thinking." Jacob informed Slate.

"I see... What do you suggest I do first?" he questioned gruffly.

"I don't know. That'll be your decision" he said with a shrug.

"I will send you more information in about a week or so. This is all you've got for now"

Slate nodded his head in acknowledgment, then turned towards the doors. He'd only taken a few steps, before looking back at Jacob.

"You didn't give me their names"

"...Their names?" Jacob asked, raising one eyebrow.

"Yes. Their names" Slate responded, beginning to lose his patience.

"Why? You've never asked for them before..."

"Just give me the names, Bird Brain. Trust me. I know what I'm doing." He snapped.

Jacob hesitated for a bit, not knowing what to think of it. What's Slate planning, he thought. He stared down at his feet for a moment, wings flapping lightly, then looked back up at Slate.

"Max and Ross. Their names are Max and Ross"

(A/N It's a day earlier then I intended, but whatever. I was originally gonna use the drawing above as the cover page, but it was much too wide. So I put it here instead. It was made by SurrealForget-me-not on DeviantART.)