Dinner With The Family

Shortly after I arrived home Mark phoned me, asking if I wanted to come over.

He opened the door, smiling as soon as he saw me. He hadn't changed out of his work clothes which was strange for him. "You're still in your work clothes?" I asked. His eyes slightly widened and he reached to scratch the back of his neck. "Erm, well." He started to explain. He was interrupted by a female voice coming from the back of his house. "Who's at the door Mark?" Mark froze. Who was she? Was she the teacher he needed to speak to? If so why did he invite me over? Did he want to get caught? "It's Scarlett mom." Mark shouted back. He turned to face me again. "Surprise?" He questioned. "You want me to meet your mom?" I exclaimed. Mark looked backed before stepping outside and closing the door behind him. "You'll be fine I promise."

"But what about how we met? Will she be okay with it?" He looked down at me and slowly encased my lips with his. "No matter what think about what that meant." It was a repeat of what I told him just days ago. I looked down at the floor, complemtating what I should do. Mark lifted my chin up, so I had no choice but to look at him. "Sam's with her. I promise you no matter what happens it won't change anything." I sighed.

"But why do I have to meet her so early on in whatever this is? Do you not think this is too fast?"

"No I don't. If we can survive meeting my mum we'll be fine."

"How old does she think I am." There was no way he told her I was 17. Mark awkwardly coughed before quietly whispering, "22." He looked ashamed but I knew it was probably the only way his mom would approve. "Okay, let's try this." I finally say. He looked up at me hopefully.

"Really?" I nodded

"Yes really." He hugged me before giving me a kiss and opening the door and leading me inside. I took a deep breath before Mark took my hand and led me to the kitchen. Sam and a woman were sitting talking to each other at the kitchen island. The woman who I assumed was Mark's mum had her back to me. She had blonde hair just like Sam and Mark. "Scarlett!" Sam exclaimed standing up and rushing up to me. He wrapped his arms around me before whispering in my ear, "Don't worry. You'll be fine." I gave him a small smile as thanks before taking Mark's hand once more as he spoke. "Mum, this is Scarlett." His mum turned so I could see what she looked like. As she looked at me a grin appeared on her face.

"It's so nice to meet you finally. I'm Zoe." She said embracing me. Finally?  How long has she known about me? I looked at Mark. His mom must have seen the confusion on my face as she explained. "Mark's been talking about you since he started his new job." Since he started teaching me? That was a few months before he asked me out. Was that why he was so mean to me? I smirked at him as he turned a shade of red. "Really?" Sam grinned at Mark, who was awkwardly trying to change the subject. 

"So moving on, Scarlett are you staying for dinner?" Mark asked. 

"Sure." It couldn't be that bad, could it? 

Zoe grinned. "Great, we've got some company coming as well." 

"We do?" It seemed Mark didn't know about this either. 

"Yeah the next door neighbours, they're new. I met the mom just outside." Mark sighed, running is hand through his hair. "We're going upstairs." He said taking my hand and taking me upstairs. As we climbed the stairs Sam shouted, "Leave the door open!" Mark rolled his eyes and ignored him as I giggled. "Continuing what we were doing in class." He spoke as he lent in, bringing his lips to mine. I brought him closer by his tie. He ran his fingers through my hair. "Well, well, well. What do we have here?" I heard a voice behind  us. We broke apart to see Sam in the door way, arms crossed and a smirk on his face. "Sam." Mark growled. "What do you want?" 

"I'm here to tell you dinner's ready and mom wants you two to come down, the other guests have arrived." Mark sighed before taking my hand as we walked downstairs. In the kitchen along with Zoe was the family next door. They had two children, a boy around my age and a girl who looked around ten. "Mark and Scarlett this is Rachael and Matt and their children, James and Sarah." 

"This is my son, Mark and his." Zoe paused, and looked at Mark and me. 

"Girlfriend, Scarlett." Mark finished. What? I looked at him. 'I was going to ask you later.' He mouthed. 

'I would have said yes.' I mouthed back. He grinned and pulled me closer into him. 

"How old are you Mark and Scarlett?" 

"I'm 24." Mark answered. Crap, what age did he say his mum thought I was? Mark tapped my arm with two fingers twice. 22, that was it. 

"I'm 22." I finally answer. 

"Really? You look younger."

"I get that a lot." If only she knew. Sensing the awkward silence that followed Zoe clapped her hands together. "Right let's sit down." 

"Breathe. Your fine." Mark whispered in my ear before pulling my chair out.