The Talk

The leaves crunched under my feet as I walked to the familiar café. It was now Autumn and it had been two weeks since Mark punched James and the wedding. Mark hadn't been at school for that time and seeing James' smirking face every day made me want to punch it myself. As I entered, the bell above the door chimed, walking over to the counter I ordered a hot chocolate and at the sound of my voice Sam looked up.

"Hey, stranger."

"Hi, Sam."

"Why you here?"

"You're so polite. Thank you for the warm welcome."

"You're welcome. Looking for Mark?"

"Yes actually. I haven't seen him for two weeks."

"He's not at work?"

"No, that's why I'm worried, ignoring me that's one thing but not going to work. Something's wrong." I turned to the waitress who silently placed down my mug, her hair behind her ear so she could hear us better.

"Thanks."

"Oh, and do you want us to talk a bit louder, can you hear us okay?" Sam asked, rolling his eyes as the girl quickly leaves.

"Look, I'll go see him, but if he's not speaking to you then there's not that much hope he'll speak to me."

"At least try for me, please." He sighed.

"I'll try." I leant across the counter and kissed him on the cheek. As I pulled away I noticed his cheeks were red. Ha, he acts so confidently and he goes red at a kiss on the cheek.

"Thank you." He gave a nod and waved me off as I sat at the table in the corner watching the world go by outside.

Marks P.O.V

I chucked another Chinese takeout box in the same overflowing bin. It had contained the same meal as it was the only dish I knew I liked and I couldn't be bothered trying to pick a new thing to try. Scarlett had been phoning, a lot. She was obviously worried but what could I say to her? That I couldn't face seeing her because of what she makes me do? No, that's wrong. She doesn't make me do those things, she didn't bring my fist to James' face. Loving her did, it had only been a few months and that was scary. Loving her had me doing things I never thought I would do. Love is a powerful and ruthless game. I had called in sick to school so many times they had sent a 'get well' basket. I took the chocolates and ate them while watching tv. I was acting like I was getting over a breakup. A break up that had never happened. I was the one who didn't phone or reply to her texts. But I didn't know what to do.

There was a knock at the door. I regretfully opened it to a worried Sam.

"What do you want?" I groaned.

"You look a mess." He replied while walking past me into the bomb site that was my house. "It stinks in here. When did you last shower?" I was not going to answer that as I couldn't remember, I don't think I'm that bad but I was lost in a hole of self-pity and wallowing.

"Don't answer actually." I silently watched him as he navigated around the room, screwing his nose up at my dirty laundry and Chinese boxes.

"As much as it seems like you've been having a great time in this little bubble of yours, it's time to take you out of it."

"Why?"

"Because you have a worried girlfriend and a brother who sorta cares about you." I rolled my eyes.

"What even happened to make you like this?" He asked. We sat down on the sofa, facing each other. He wouldn't like my answer but I had to tell him so he could leave me alone. I took a deep breath,

"I punched a student." His mouth dropped open and if I wasn't so nervous just now I would find it funny.

"You punched Scarlett!"

"What! No! Did I say that? I punched a student that found out about me and Scarlett."

"Oh, well good for you." Wait, what?

"What?"

"You were standing up for yourself and your girlfriend. Yey Mark."

"I'm sorry you did hear the part where I said I punched a student?"

"Oh no, I totally didn't hear the whole point of your sentence, yeah must get my hearing aid fixed. Of course, I did! I'm just saying it doesn't matter. It's your word against his, and I'm pretty sure Scarlett will back you up. That's if she forgives you." Shit. I put my head in my hands.

"I've been such a dick."

"Yes. Yes, you have." Sam stated. "Now let's go get some fresh air and some dinner!" I silently nodded my head. It would be good to go outside.

"Let me get changed first."

"And maybe a shower?" Sam called out after me.

"Where are we going anyway?"

"I was thinking Chinese, I know you haven't had that in a while."

Scarlett's P.O.V

Sam had spoken to Mark yesterday and apparently it went well, I'm not sure, though. Mark still hadn't texted me.

"The Halloween party's coming up." Riley reminded me. "What are you wearing for it?"

"I have no idea, probably something last minute." Riley sighed.

"You always do that."

"And it always works. Hey, maybe I could be the invisible man."

"How would you do that?"

"Not show up."

"Come on Scarlett, you have to go," Riley whined. I wonder if Mark was going. God, it was like the start of the year when it was a guessing game with him.

"Well, what are you wearing then?" I asked her. She then went into a detailed description of her costume, with red polka dots this and ribbon that, flailing her arms around as she was trying to describe it to me.

That's when I saw him. Almost in slow motion. He was leant against the doorway to his classroom and another science teacher was talking to him. He ran his hand through his hair, as he turned and noticed me. His face suddenly changed to a grin, but then he looked a bit nervous. He raised his hand and gave me a salute kind of wave.

And that is when I gave him the middle finger.

A/N- Does anyone know what they're doing for Halloween and what they're dressing up as?