You're Not Sorry

"Who the hell does she think she is?" I growl as Mark just stares at the front door in shock. His lips still had the red stain to them, reminding me of what just happened.

"Scarlett, I didn't mean to, she kissed me and I was too surprised to push her away." Mark rambled on.

"I know Mark." I turn to look at him, bringing my hand up to wipe some lipstick off his face. "I don't know what I was thinking, bringing her here."

"You didn't know. How could you possibly predict that she was going to kiss me?"

"I should've seen the signs. I should've known she wouldn't get over you that quickly."

"Don't worry, none of this is your fault, Scarlett," Mark reassured me. He began to lean in but I quickly moved my head so he ended up kissing my cheek. He looked hurt.

"I just don't want to kiss you straight after she did, it feels wrong." Mark nodded. I knew he understood, though he was still hurt. I just couldn't kiss him, knowing that my old best friend had just done the same. It felt weird and wrong, almost like I was stealing something from her. Which, of course, I wasn't. Mark wasn't dating her, he loved me, however, I still felt like this whole situation was my fault. Don't get me wrong, I was pissed at her. I knew I needed to speak to her, I just didn't want to do it while there was a chance I'd slap her.

"Come on, help me get this red off my face." Mark sighed, leaving me in the hall, still watching the front door, almost waiting for Riley to come back.

~~~~~

"So three types of neural pathways are converging, reverberating and..." Mark droned on at the front of the class. I was now sat in the back corner of the class, from my request. Mark had changed the seating plan so Riley and I didn't have to tolerate each other. However, I now had clear view of Riley, watching her every move. The more she licked her lips, trying to flirt with Mr Harris, the more angrier I got. Was she like this before and was I just too stupid to notice? She sat proudly, smirking as if she did nothing wrong. Almost as if what she did was justified. Mark raised his eyebrow as he silently watched me from the front of the classroom. I shook my head, signalling not to ask me about it.

"She just wants to get into your head," Mark said while pulling me closer to him. It was now after class and I had stayed behind. Riley's flirting had got worse through the class, and I had to hold myself back not to say anything. She was testing my patience, and she knew it. That was the worst thing about it because she knew me for so long she how to push my buttons. I sighed.

"I know, it's just difficult."

"You need to talk to her Scar."

"I need to wait. I just don't want to end up doing something I regret."

"You need to do it soon, otherwise she'll think she's got away with it."

"Don't worry, there's no way in hell she's getting away with what she did." Mark chuckled before releasing me.

"You should go home, people might get suspicious." I sighed before nodding.

"I'll see you later."

"Talk to her." I rolled my eyes before saying I would.

~~~~~~

"What about Egypt?" Mark asked as he pointed to the map.

"Sure, we could see the pyramids." I was at Mark's house three days later, and I still hadn't spoken to Riley.

"Have you spoken to her yet?" Mark asked, looking up from the map at me.

"Yep."

"Scarlett." He rose an eyebrow at me.

"What?"

"When did you speak to her?"

"Yesterday." I lied.

"You would have called me."

"Fine. I still haven't. I don't want to."

"Pass me your phone."

"No."

"Scarlett Miller, give me your phone."

"Don't use your teacher voice on me."

"Scarlett."

"Mark." I mimicked. He was annoying me, I know I should talk to Riley but I felt like I couldn't. Too much in my own thoughts, I didn't notice Mark slowly take my phone.

"Hi, Riley." What the hell was he doing? "Yeah, come over now please."

"What the hell did you just do?"

"I just asked Riley over so you two can talk."

"Why?"

"Because we're both angry at it, and you need to discuss it with her." I sighed. I was annoyed at what he did, but I understood why he did it.

"When will she be here?"

"She said as soon as possible."

"Of course she did."

"Hey, it'll be okay." He tried to reassure me, placing his lips on mine.

"Last time one of us said that she kissed you."

I didn't know what would happen when Riley arrived, all I knew was that if I had Mark by my side, I would be fine.

~~~~~

"You ready?" Mark asked. Riley had finally arrived and was now standing at the front door.

"Not really but that's not going to stop you is it?"

"Nope." I sighed, crossing my arms as Mark greeted Riley. Riley followed Mark to the kitchen, where I was 'patiently' waiting for this to be over with. Mark looked uncomfortable as I noticed Riley had wrapped her arm around his. He tried to shrug her off, but she was attached to him like a leech.

"Riley."

"Scarlett." Unlike me, she was smiling. Acting like nothing was wrong. She knew exactly why she was here, and she couldn't care less.

Mark was finally able to shrug her off and stood beside me, wrapping his arm around my waist, pulling me protectively into him. Riley was glaring at me now. I had something she didn't, and she did not like it one bit.

"I've just got one question. Why the hell did you kiss him?"

"Because I want him."

"He's with me, Riley. I'm sorry if you can't see that." She huffed and rolled her eyes. "We were best friends, why did you ruin that?"

"We couldn't have been best friends if you didn't realise I liked him."

"Well, obviously you didn't realise he liked me, and could never see you like that, no matter how much makeup you cover your face with."

Riley looked furious as she leant forward, raising her hand to me. Before she could make contact, Mark grabbed her wrist, growling,

"Don't even think about it."