Graduation

A lot has changed over the past year. I had gained a relationship and lost a best friend. There was no way I thought I would be here when I walked in late to my first science lesson. The last month of school had been different. Riley and I stayed clear of each other, however when we did manage to cross paths she had a look of instant regret. It wasn't the same, I thought we'd graduate together, face the world by each other sides. But, things change. I just wasn't happy with how it finished. Mark had his last week as my teacher, he was now technically allowed to be with me now, not that we shouted it from the rooftops.

"You ready Scarlett?" My mom shouted from downstairs. I took a deep breath, flattening my dress, looking one more time in the mirror as a high school student. It was bittersweet. I was free, but I was scared at what was to come, the unknown was frightening but I knew I had people beside me to help me, I had Mark.

"Yeah, I'm just coming." I quickly slipped on the paper airplane necklace Mark gave me. He had texted me good luck, as he couldn't come to the graduation, as he was no longer a teacher there and he didn't have family graduating.

"You look beautiful." Mom exclaimed, as I took my time walking down the stairs.

"Thanks mom."

"Right, just enough time for pictures." My brother had come back from university for this.

"My baby sister has grown up!" He said, ruffling my hair.

"Watch it or I'll dye your hair green again." I warned as I put on a smile for my grinning mom who was holding a camera.

"You dare." I laughed, as he stared me down, while memories of that 'incident' flooded my head. Shit that was with Riley wasn't it? Forget about her, she betrayed you. I'm graduating, I should be happy, this is a joyous occasion.

"I can't believe my little girl is graduating." My mom said, tears in her eyes, as she looked proudly at me. I rolled my eyes.

"I'm just graduating, not getting married."

"Yet." I raised an eyebrow at her. "What? All I'm saying is that you're going on a year worldwide trip, who knows what will happen."

"I'll get jet lag, that's what will happen. Nothing else." She laughed,

"Always keep that sense of humor, Scarlett."

~~~~~~~~~

I looked around the hall, at my fellow classmates, who had no idea what had happened this year. Riley was at the other side of the hall. She turned to face me, giving me a small smile. I decided to be a bigger person.

'Good luck.' I mouthed at her. She looked shocked, but nodded her head before turning to face the principle who was now stood at the podium, giving her last speech to us. I was ready. Was I? As the line started to move, I was getting more nervous by the minute. I was steps away from my future.

"Scarlett Miller." I took a deep breath, before walking up to the stage, praying I wouldn't fall flat on my face.

My diploma in one hand, I looked up at my family. My brother was giving me a thumbs up while my mom was blowing into a tissue, crying. She cried so easily.

"Now, if everyone could move there tassels to the left." Almost simultaneously my year did the same thing for the last time.

"Congratulations Class of 2017!" At her words, cheers erupted in the hall as everyone hugged each other. Everyone, except me and Riley. We had no one to hug. We had always stayed by each other's sides, not bothering to make other friends. We had each other. And now look at us, the only ones not celebrating with our classmates.

~~~~~~~

"Well done on not tripping." My brother 'congratulated' me.

"Thanks, I try my best."

"It seems like yesterday you were just learning to walk and now you're graduating and going on a worldwide trip with your boyfriend." My mom cried as she engulfed me in a hug. I smiled, I was going to miss this. It would be hard to leave her for a year. But it was what I wanted.

"Now come on, let's get home." She said, patting her cheeks, to get rid of the tears that were still falling.

"Give me a minute." I asked, before running over to her.

"Riley."

"Scarlett?" She seemed surprised to see me. Her parents looked at me happy, I'm guessing they didn't hear what happened.

"I just wanted to say good luck with everything. And I'm sad, it ended the way it did."

"Yeah, me too. I regret everything." I nodded, I couldn't forgive her I just didn't want to leave this chapter of my life unfinished

As I walked away she called my name.

"Have a great next year Scarlett. I'm glad you got everything you wanted."

"You too Riley. I'll see you when I see you." A single tear rolled down my cheek as I realised this would be the last time I would probably see her. Maybe in 10 years in the reunion, but by that time who knows.

~~~~~~~

"Why did we have to go for a year?" I groaned to my mom. She laughed as she watched me struggle to close the suitcase. We were going for a year so I had to pack for all sorts of weather. No one told me packing would be this hard.

"Finally." I gave a sigh of relief as I was finally able to close it.

"Are you ready then?" My mom asked. I nodded. She sighed. "Let's get going then."

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just going to miss you."

"I'm going to miss you too mom. But I'll phone and write. I promise."

"I know you will. Right, I'll take this down and let you say goodbye to your room for a year." I nodded. I looked around at the room I had lived in for 17 years. I had so many memories here and it felt strange to be leaving it, but I would see it in a year, and I would have so many more memories to fill it with.

"Goodbye room." I whispered as I closed the door.

"Talking to your bedroom. I knew you had gone crazy." I jumped at the sudden voice beside me and glared at my laughing brother.

"Ass."

"I'll miss you, you know."

"I know."

"Anything else to say?"

"Stay out my room." He chuckled.

"Bye Scarlett."

~~~~~~

"Now remember to stay safe and call every few days." Mom reminded me for the 10th time in the car journey. She had insisted on driving me here, as a final goodbye, and so I didn't leave my car here.

"I will."

"God, when did you grow up so fast."

"I love you."

"I love you too. Now, go and live your dreams." I gave her a final hug before getting out the car and grabbing my suitcase from the trunk of the car. I instantly regretted how much it weighed. Mark would have to help me. I watched as my mom drove off for the last time. I slowly dragged my suitcase up to Mark's door.

Taking a deep breath, I slowly raised my hand giving two gentle knocks. Mark opened the door, grinning. He looked so happy.

"Scarlett."

"Mark." I instantly jumped into his arms.

"I love you." He whispered into my neck.

"I love you too."

I was ready to make so many memories with him.

A/N- The end. Thank you for all the support you've given this book. It has gotten more reads than what I thought it ever would, so thank you for that. I think this was a good way to end things. And I'm glad that Scarlett said a proper final goodbye to Riley.

Again thank you.