A little bird told me

Mark opened the door to his smiling mom. She wouldn't be smiling if she knew anything, would she?

"Come in mom." Mark sighed. She happily went through to the kitchen, standing behind the marble island. Why are all the conversations in the kitchen? I sat on one of the kitchen stools with Mark standing behind me.

"So why are you here?"

"Oh that's nice Mark, can't a mother just want to see how her son and girlfriend are?"

"Yeah but why not ask on the phone instead of actually coming down here."

"It wasn't something I could say over the phone."

"You're making me worry mom." Mark anxiously said he ran his hand through his hair as he watched every move she made. The silence was deafening as she figured out what she was going to say. I looked around for exits just in case objects were thrown. We were in a kitchen after all.

"Have you ever fallen for someone you shouldn't have?" She finally spoke. Mark and I glanced over at each other warily, what was she implying?

"What do you mean mom?" Mark asked slowly, you could tell he wasn't sure how to react.

"Like a boss, a best friend's parent or perhaps a teacher." With the word 'teacher' she turned to look straight at me. I gulped. Mark took hold of my hand.

"Nope, never," I said.

"That's funny because you'll never believe what I heard." She liked dragging this out, didn't she? I held my breath as she finally told us what we were dreading.

"Science class can be boring, can't it? But I guess when you're in a relationship with your teacher it makes it better. What do you think Scarlett?" Shit. Goodbye, Mark, it's over now that she knows.

"How did you find out?" I asked.

"A little bird told me."

"Mom." Mark growled.

"James next door." She confessed. What the hell? He said he wouldn't tell. He even made a deal with Mark. Why do that and then tell Mark's mom? I couldn't believe it. I looked over at Mark. His eyes were wide, but with a hint of anger towards James.

"What do you think mom?" He whispered. I could tell he was nervous. I squeezed his hand but he slowly moved his from mine. Almost as if he didn't want to make it worse. She looked over at me, her face a mask as she stayed silent.

"I think it's amazing how you want to risk it all for a girl." I didn't know how she meant that, condescending or genuine?

"Really?" Mark asked. She nodded.

"I think if you truly love someone it doesn't matter how you meet them. Look at Romeo and Juliet, though ignore how their story finished."

"Thanks, mom." He smiled as he gave her a hug. I smiled gently at her when she finally looked back at me.

"How old are you really?"

"17. 18 next month," I answered honestly.

"Six years difference." She confirmed. I nodded. Awkward silence quickly followed suit.

"Is that all mom?" Mark finally asked. She nodded.

"I hope everything works out and I'll see you both next week."

"Next week?" Mark asked, confused.

"I haven't told you?"

"You know you haven't told me."

"Your cousin's getting married and you're taking Scarlett with you." Mark  turned to me.

"First time you're hearing this?" I nodded. "Yeah me too, thanks, mom." His mom tried to look innocent.

"It was in the text I never sent. She invited you and a plus one in the invitation she gave me." Mark sighed, running his hand through his hair.

"Okay, we'll be there." Will we? His mom finally left and we both let out big sighs.

"Thank god she's gone."

"She's your mom, you can't say that!"

"I just did and you know you agree." I agreed but still.

"What are we going to do about James?" I asked. The fury returned in his eyes.

"Text him, invite him here." He muttered.

"You sure? What are you going to do?"

"Just do it, Scarlett." He growled. I texted him, wondering what on earth was going on in Mark's head.

~~~~~

"Hello, James," Mark said as James followed me into the kitchen where Mark was waiting. It was scary seeing the big grin he had plastered on his face, even though his eyes told a different story.

"Mr Harris."

"You know, I hate people who go back on their promises." James gulped.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"You see I think you do." Mark's voice was getting lower and more threatening. Mark seemed to be getting taller and James was shrinking with every word from Mark.

"Mark, calm down." I tried warning him. James' attitude turned.

"Okay, maybe I did say something to your mom but it's what you get when you're sleeping with your student." He smirked. "Not my fault you can't help but get turned on by a 17-year-old. Not my fault you can't control yourself. Maybe people should know."

And that's when Mark punched him.