Hospital Room

I woke up to the sound of beeping. The last thing I can remember was everything going black. I knew I must be in the hospital from the machines' noises and the paper thin blanket on top of me. The sound of snoring came from the corner of the room. I slowly opened my eyes, trying to find the source of the snores. A man was laid out as best he could on the uncomfortable looking arm chair, situated in the corner. He had a blanket over him and his head was covered with his jacket, probably to shield the lights that were still on in my room. I wondered why they were on even though it was clearly dark, with the other patients asleep. Back to the stranger in my room. Who was he? And more importantly, why was he here? Yes, I was in the hospital, and yes I know I probably fainted, but still no one else was here that I knew.

You've got to be kidding me, as I investigated the stranger on the seat, I figured out he wasn't actually a stranger after all. As I saw the glimpse of lab coat with fake blood as he moved I instantly recognised who was there. I groaned out loud, not ready for another confrontation. He must have heard my groan as he started to stir, I quickly lay on my side, my back facing him. I wanted to see what he would do or say if he thought I was asleep. He slowly sighed, the chair squeaking slightly, he was probably sitting up. I could imagine him running his hand over his face.

"She awake?" He asked no one. He gave a disappointed sigh as he realised I wasn't. "Come on Scarlett. Please, I need to know you're okay." Was he worried? Earlier he was mad at me, for 'not speaking to him.' Please. I heard strange choking noises, following quick sobs. Was he crying? My god.

"I know you're just dehydrated and it's not entirely serious but seeing or hearing for that matter you hit the ground and not responding shook me up. I need you to wake up so I know you're okay." Why was he being so sentimental? I stayed in my position to see if he would admit anything else. He shocked me by standing up, my breathing hitched as he leant down in front of me placing a kiss on my forehead. I thought I was safe and slowly started to relax. He was by my side, I don't know why there was no one else, including my parents. But just now I couldn't care less, he was here, and that's all I wanted, even though I didn't want to admit it to him.

"Wake up, please Scarlett. Don't be stubborn. Everyone's worried. And your mom gave me a weird smile when I said I'd stay with you so she could rest. Please, your mom kinda scares me." That did it, I released a small chuckle.

"Oh, I hate you, Scarlett Miller." I opened one eye to see his face full of relief.

"Hi," I whispered, giving a slight giggle. He rolled his eyes.

"How much did you hear?"

"Not a lot." I lied.

"Scarlett." He warned.

"Fine, I woke up a few minutes before you did."

"Shit." He murmured.

"How long was I out?" I asked, ignoring his 'shit' I didn't hear anything terrible, so I don't know why he was panicking.

"A couple hours, seemed like a lifetime, though." He murmured the last part. I smiled and shuffled over to the other side of the bed as best I could with the drip that was attached to my arm. He took the hint and lay beside me, his arm around my shoulders.

"You know how you asked me what I heard."

"Hmm,"

"I did hear something I probably shouldn't have." He froze, waiting for what I heard so he could explain himself. If I let him.

"What was that?" I could tell he was scared to ask.

"You agreeing to drinks with the ladybird. Do you have the remote for the TV?"

"Look Scarlett." He began, ignoring my request for the remote.

"Don't 'look Scarlett' me. You had just complained to me about me 'ignoring' you, then you agree to a date."

"It's just a drink."

"To your mind probably but to her, it's a date, and you know that."

"Why couldn't you just let me sit next to you peacefully? Why do you have to bring this up?"

"Because I'm pissed off that's why. The man I stupidly fell for avoided contact with me then blatantly agreed to a date in the same proximity as me."

"I didn't know you were near."

"And if you knew, would you still have said yes?"

"No."

"That's worse. You'd look perfect by saying no in front of me, when secretly you'd want to say yes."

"I'm confused Scarlett." He confessed in a whisper. He pressed his forehead against mine.

"About what?"

"You." He took a deep breath. "My feelings are pretty clear, but I can't get you out of my head, I thought if I went on a few dates it would stop, but it hasn't and I'm petrified about that. You make me feel completely different to anyone else, and you're still my student for goodness sake." He encased my lips with his, I began to kiss back before realising what he said. I pushed him back, seeing his startled face as he ran his hand through his hair.

"Woah, back up. You only asked me out to get me 'out of your system'? It just keeps getting better Mark." His eyes were wide.

"What? No! That's not what I meant! I love that you're not going away, I love that you're falling for me."

"You love that I'm falling for you? What about you? Are you falling for me? I care, I care so much it hurts Mark. Do you know how much it hurt to see you say yes to a date when you just shouted at me? You can't pick me up whenever you feel like loving." Mark didn't say anything, he just stared. Did I say too much? He smashed his lips onto mine, I passionately kissed back, but soon the taste of his lips got mixed with my tears. I once again pushed him away.

"Just go Mark." He was about to protest but I shook my head. "Please." I began to sob uncontrollably as all the emotions piled out, the heart monitor sped up and a nurse ran in to check if I was okay.

"I think it's time for you to go." She said harshly to Mark, pushing him out the door. He tried to protest, but she wasn't having it.

"I love you!" He shouted as he was finally pushed out, into the hall, desperately looking into my room. I don't know what to think.

A/N- Thank you for 9K!! What do you think of the book cover, do you think I should change it?