Chapter TWELVE

Edited - 7/28/19

There was somebody knocking on his balcony doors.

It was 9pm and there was someone on his balcony. Calum, being only 10 years old, was starting to think of the worst case scenario. He thought a thief or a murderer was going to come in.

"Hello?" The person outside spoke up.

Calum's eyebrows furrowed together. He recognized that voice.

He couldn't see who it was because his dad put up curtains in front of the balcony doors. Calum skeptically stepped closer and extended his arm, pulling back the dark green curtains. Through the glass, he saw the same boy who talked to him a few hours ago at the sidewalk, the one with the bright blue eyes.

Calum's own eyes widened. "How'd you get on my balcony?" Calum didn't really speak up, but the blonde boy must've understood him because he moved aside to reveal the other identical balcony directly across from Calum's. 

Calum unlocked the balcony doors, opening one and feeling the cool wind sweep across his face. "Sorry if I scared you," The blue eyed kid said, smiling. "I just saw you in your room earlier."

"So you decided to hop over and.. knock?" Calum tilted his head. The distance between the railings of the balconies were only a few inches. "At nine in the evening?"

Calum thought it was weird, the way these balconies and houses were built, but now a boy his age was standing in front of him in the middle of the night and it just became weirder. "I didn't get to introduce myself properly earlier," The boy smiled. "You know, since we're neighbors and our bedrooms are literally across from each other." He extended his arm. "I'm Luke Hemmings."

Calum stared at the blonde boy in amusement. Luke was dressed in striped pajama bottoms and a white shirt, his hair falling across his forehead. He was about the same height as Calum. "I'm Calum," Calum shook Luke's hand, still eyeing the boy skeptically. "Calum Hood."

"Your last name is Hood?" Luke's eyes widened. "That's awesome! I wish my name was that cool!"

"You don't like your name?" Calum asked. Luke shook his head. "Nah, Luke's such a common name. You're the first Calum I've ever known." Luke said.

"Well you're the first Luke I've ever known," Calum replied.

Luke just stared at Calum, a smile on his face. "I like you, Calum, you seem cool."

"Thanks?"

Suddenly Luke hopped over to his own balcony, both him and Calum standing on the edge of their balconies behind the railings, facing each other.

"We should be friends." Luke grinned.

Calum was still a bit freaked out that the boy whose bedroom was beside his just randomly decided to knock on his balcony.

Do normal people do that?

But, Calum would never admit, he liked that Luke went through the trouble just to talk with him.

---

Calum

Coming out to my family was probably the most terrifying thing I have ever done.

Mom and dad's reactions were mixed. I talked with them on FaceTime yesterday when I got back home from the meeting at Dave's office.

When I told them I was bisexual, my mom said that she actually had a hunch because of the time when Luke and I were still kids. My dad was surprised, and he was the one who kept asking how I knew, when I knew, and if I ever had a boyfriend.