Chapter TWENTY-FOUR

Edited - 7/31/19

Luke

"You're lying," Jake said accusingly. I ignored him, throwing another jab at the punching bag. My tank top was clinging to my torso and my hair was dripping with sweat. Jake looked less sweaty and more amused. "Luke, face it, you're angry."

"I'm not angry at him." My actions contradicted my words, my boxing gloves continuously colliding with the punching bag.

Jake stepped closer, both hands on his hips. "I wasn't talking about Calum. I'm talking about the girl who was with Calum."

I landed a hit harder that time, the sound like thunder filling the small room. "Am not."

"You so are." Jake found the situation funny, apparently. "I'm not good at reading people's emotions or generally talking about other people's relationships like Meredith. But come on, mate, you're too obvious."

"I am not obvious," I argued. I glanced at Jake in time to see him roll his eyes. "Besides," I continued, sending fast jabs to the punching bag as I spoke. "Patricia and Dave both talked to me already."

"After you saw the pictures yesterday. And the article." Jake pointed out.

I checked my phone first thing in the morning. All my social media accounts were filled with people asking whether or not Calum and I were broken up. It was very confusing, until I saw one of the articles with the pictures they took last night. The girl was a model, and I did not bother—want—to know her name. She was pretty. With her pretty face and pretty hair and pretty arms wrapped around Calum.

The summary of the article was that with 5 Seconds of Summer being on tour, people were wondering about how Calum's coping with his newly found sexuality and relationship, and because of the pictures they're questioning whether or not Calum was cheating.

Management knew it would only result to bad comments. But publicity was publicity, I guess. That's showbiz for you.

"I'm going to ignore the fact that you're still not admitting to me, your best friend, that you've already fallen for Calum." Jake held up a hand before I could counter his words. "Don't even pretend that it isn't true, please, it'll save both of us the time and pain. But seriously, you should just talk to him."

I stared at Jake, sighed, then dropped my stance. "Jake. I don't even know what to tell him. What should I say? Oh, I felt jealous seeing you with that model even though we're not really together?"

Jake nodded vigorously, eyes wide to further emphasize his point. "Yes! You tell him that exactly."

From the corner of the gym, my phone started ringing where I had placed it on top of a chair. "How many times has he called you already?" Jake asked.

"You don't even if know it's him," I pointed out before taking off my boxing gloves. I tossed them at Jake, and he caught it with both hands.

I checked my phone. It was Calum.

Jake obviously figured out he was right because he was snickering under his breath. I glared at him, placing my phone down and instead picked up a towel, wiping my face and the back of my neck.

"Why don't you just answer the call?" Jake asked. "It's not like Calum likes the model—unless of course the model we're talking about is you."