Chapter TWENTY-EIGHT

Edited - 8/2/19

Calum

Well, we were supposed to get take-out.

But Luke had other plans.

"I don't understand why you wanted to cook," I shook my head. "I mean, that's what take-outs are for, so people can have the choice to not cook but still eat at home."

Last time Luke was here, the atmosphere was different. We were both cautious, tip-toeing around one another and keeping things bottled up. Then, it inevitably fell apart.

Now, it felt domestic seeing him move around my kitchen like it's the most normal thing in the world. 

"I've always loved cooking, it relaxes me." Luke grinned. "Why do you buy so much ingredients if you don't even cook?"

"I'm not completely useless in the kitchen. But Ashton cooks mostly." I shrugged, leaning against the kitchen counter and watching Luke prepare the ingredients.

"Poor Ashton." Luke shook his head, glancing sideways at me and raising an eyebrow. "You know, I've asked you to help. So far, you've done.. nothing."

"Hey! I've done—okay, fine, I haven't done anything."

He laughed, pushing the chopping board towards me. "Chop these, please. Prove to me you aren't completely useless in the kitchen." He pointed to the celery, onion and green bell peppers.

"What are you even making?" I asked, grabbing the knife and starting on the bell peppers.

"Sweet and sour chicken stir-fry, it's—no, Calum." Luke stopped whatever he was mixing and suddenly his chest is pressed right against my right arm, his hand stopping me from continuing what I was doing. "You're not supposed to cut it like that." Luke shakes his head. He was smiling like he found the situation amusing.

I turned my head and almost choked. My nose almost brushed against Luke's cheek. "You're supposed to dice it, Cal—" He looked at me and his eyes widened our close proximity.

We stayed like that for a moment until Luke moved back a little, letting out a cough. "Dice it," He said, giving a tight-lipped smile before going back to preparing the chicken.

Was this a date?

Maybe. At least I meant for it to be. I hadn't made it clear in the car. Did Luke know it was a date?

I continued chopping—no, dicing—the bell peppers. "This is a date," I said decisively. I waited a second before looking sideways. Luke's staring at me with slightly raised eyebrows. "I just wanted to make it clear that I asked you on a date. Normally, first dates consist of going to the movies and eating out. But, well, you know why I'd prefer we spend it here. Is that alright?" I gestured between the two of us. "This being a date, I mean."

Luke didn't say anything at first, placing a pan on the stove. I feared that I made a big mistake and was immediately about to apologize when I saw the side of his lip twitch upwards. "First date?"

"Yeah," I breathed out in relief, a tightness in my chest loosening. "First date that wasn't planned by management. Also, the first date I ever asked you to."

"Huh," I heard Luke say. "So, you're not taking me out, because we're in your condo. Technically, you're taking me in."