Chapter FIFTEEN

Edited - 7/29/19

Luke

Calum and I were not actually together.

I knew that. I knew everything was fake. Even though we don't exactly despise each other anymore, all the lovey-dovey things were just a stunt. I also knew that I have every right to choose to only be involved with Calum whenever Patricia or Dave wanted me to be.

I knew all this, and yet here I was, currently standing in front of Calum's front door.

I haven't even knocked. I probably looked like an idiot, but every time I brought my hand up, something just stopped me from doing it.

I had been stuck like this for about three minutes, give or take.

"What is the big deal?" I caught myself mumbling. "Just knock!"

After a deep breath, I knocked four times. A bit louder than I expected. Once I had done that, I actually felt like turning away. Again, I didn't know why, but I didn't have enough time to think about it either because Calum opened the door.

He was surprised, and understandably so. "Hey, Luke. I—I was just about to leave for the airport. Did you need anything?"

I cleared my throat. "No, I just.. wanted to offer you a ride there."

"Oh," Both Calum's eyebrows rose at that. "Did Dave ask you to drive me?"

"No, he didn't." I shook my head, suddenly feeling a bit embarrassed. "I actually volunteered."

"Are you sure?" Calum was smiling now.

"Yeah! Yeah." I nodded, smiling back. "I can drive you. I'd be happy to."

Calum stared at me for a minute, almost like he couldn't believe what was happening. He seemed.. happy about it though. "Alright, if you're really okay with it." And then he opened the door and let me inside.

His suitcases were in the living room. "I'll go get my other bag, then we can go." Calum said, closing the door behind him and walking up the steps.

Calum probably didn't need anybody to take him to the airport. Although this was me trying to be helpful, I think it was also me being selfish. There's me wanting to be near Calum right now. After what happened at the park, for some reason, it felt wrong to just let him go by himself.

Behind me, I heard a soft thud. I turned my head towards Calum who had placed down his small duffel bag and a backpack beside his suitcase. "I just have to check if I haven't forgotten anything," He mumbled, looking around the room. He felt around his pockets and his eyes widened. "Wallet, damn it. I'll be right back." And then raced back up the stairs.

Seconds later he appeared again. He shrugged on his black backpack and his light green duffel bag. I walked closer, taking the handle of his suitcase.

"I can-"

"It's okay," I said before he finished. "I'll help."

Once we got to the elevator, we both tried to reach for the button at the same time, and our fingers touched. It was reflex which made me pull back. "Dude." Calum was eyeing me. "Are you okay? You seem jumpy."