Chapter TWENTY-SIX

Edited - 8/1/19

Calum

Having been caught up in the feeling of being on stage while singing and playing our hearts out, of course it took a more than a moment for my head to wrap around what was going on.

In that process, Michael had taken over singing my parts.

Tell me where you're hiding your voodoo doll 'cause I can't control myself.

Luke was standing. Right there.

I don't wanna stay,
I wanna run away,
But I'm trapped under your spell.

He beamed when I looked at him, a hint of concern present on his face. It was understandable, because besides the fact that I was playing my bass, I still haven't moved.

And it hurts in my head and my heart and my chest,
And I'm having trouble catching my breath.

I looked at Michael and he was already gesturing with his head for me to go towards Luke.

Ooh, ooh,
Won't you please stop loving me to death?

I slowly walked towards the corner of the catwalk, heart erratically beating in my chest. There was a woman stood beside Luke, and I don't recognize her but she pushed him closer to where I was walking towards, giving him a reassuring gesture.

I don't even see my friends no more,
'Cause I keep hanging out with you.
I don't know how you kept me up all night,
Or how I got this tattoo.

I kneeled down once I reached the catwalk, still playing my bass. Thank God Luke wasn't behind the barricades. He was smiling at me, brighter than any of the lights on stage.

I took out my earpiece, already saying, "I thought you weren't—" Before I stopped and realized that he couldn't hear me because of the instruments playing over the speakers and the fans' screams gradually getting louder.

I can feel you watching even when you're nowhere to be seen.
I can feel you touching even when you're far away from me.

Luke seemed to understand what I was asking, though. He gave a shrug, expression smug. I couldn't help but burst out laughing in glee at the fact that he actually made it.

Tell me where you're hiding your voodoo doll 'cause I can't control myself.

I wanted to jump off stage. I wanted to be near Luke. Just as I was contemplating doing just that, I heard a deep voice shout my name, piercing through the combination of music and screams. It was Jensen who seemed to sense what I wanted to do, because he was shaking his head no and mouthing that I should stay on stage.

I don't wanna stay,
I wanna run away,
But I'm trapped under your spell.

I gave a curt nod. I wasn't about to go against our head of security. I gazed back at Luke to find that he was also staring at Jensen, shooting him a thumbs-up. Luke then gave me a sad pout. I felt my heart leap in my chest as I laughed again.

And it hurts in my head and my heart and my chest,
And I'm having trouble catching my breath.

"Surprised?" I heard Luke say. Barely. Mostly I read his lips, it really was hard to hear his voice.