Chapter THIRTY-SIX

Luke

Breakfast was the most important meal of the day, or so I've always been told. Wherever I happen to be in the world, it was always a welcome comfort that the breakfast food served in buffets were all quite similar.

"I am stuffed," I told Courtney as we waited for the elevator to take us back to our hotel room. I put a hand on my stomach, exhaling through my mouth. "Jake would kill me for how much bread I just ate."

"And during fashion week too. He'd rip you a new one," Courtney joked. Unlike me, Courtney was ready for the day. She was dressed in a bodycon dress and a long coat, hair neatly styled back with light make-up. I was still rocking the sweater and sweat pants with hotel slippers look.

I noticed as we were walking back how Courtney was fidgeting with her coat. She only did that whenever she was nervous. The elevator doors dinged open when I decided to ask, "What's wrong, Courtney?"

She blinked at me and shook her head. "Oh, nothing. Just trying to remember your entire schedule for your remaining days here."

"Armani fittings today and a couple of meetings, the show is tomorrow. After Armani we go to fittings for Moschino and then the show is the following day after. Am I missing something?" I ticked off the shows Genevieve had managed to book for me. It was overwhelming having to be at different places non-stop, Courtney's job of keeping track of times and destinations certainly wasn't easy.

"No, I believe that's it. Sight-seeing's not on the agenda," She brought up. "But I think we could manage to squeeze in a few hours before leaving."

"I'd love to explore, but if not it'll be alright. We've been to Milan before. Besides, I think I'd rather stay in during our down time." Courtney shrugged, both of us stopping at her room. Hers was nearer the elevator. "I don't know, maybe you'll change your mind."

I gave her a look which clarified I wouldn't. She laughed, waving me off. "Go, Luke. I'll meet you in the lobby exactly an hour later."

I gave her a salute, walking towards my own room when I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. The WiFi in the hallway was a little unstable, but I answered Calum's call anyways.

"Good morning, sunshine! Finished breakfast now?"

"Hey, sorry the internet's not so great right now." I smiled at a staff who greeted me as they passed. "Yeah, I just finished eating. Heading to my room as we speak."

"How was your flight to Italy? I heard from Dave that you barely had time to pack before you had to go to the airport."

I sighed, feeling around my other pocket for a keycard. "Yeah, well, told you I was pretty busy these days. Don't worry too much, Cal. Shooting for the movie is nearly done, and fashion week in Paris is my last stop before I can finally take a break."

"That's great. Really great," I heard Calum say as I stopped in front of my hotel room, struggling with one hand to tap the keycard and to get the door open. "Hey, I actually have something to tell you." His tone of voice changed all of a sudden.

That made me quite nervous. I closed the door behind me, tossing the keycard onto a table nearby. I really wasn't ready to hear bad news this early in the morning. "Oh, you sound serious. What is it then?"

"I really do miss you."

It was an unusual thing hearing someone's voice coming from your phone and from behind you.

I nearly shrieked in surprise, almost dropping my phone but catching it at the last minute. Calum's laugh echoed all over the room, his eyes crinkling at the sides like always.