Chapter 11 Prisoner 319

The cell was concrete, with one way in and no windows. There was no way to tell how much time was passing or if it was day or night, by the light at least. Clarke knew when it was nighttime. They only visited her at night. The design of the room was disorienting, if you spent enough time there, you could forget your own name, and she had. She was in complete isolation, unlike all the other people locked up. She hadn't heard her own voice since she was locked up, only the sound of her screams.

She had eight feet by ten feet to move around, when she had enough strength to push herself off of the ground. The blank walls were cold and grey, and there used to be a bed, but it had been removed a while ago. Now, there were only chains on the wall and silence. They only fed her once every day, keeping her weak and unable to fight.

She had been lying on the ground all day, willing herself to heal from the previous night, hoping she would be able to fight back this time. The door opened with a loud bang and three shadowy figures entered her cell. She lifted her head, vision blurry. Two men, one woman. She dropped her head once again, accepting her fate. She had stopped fighting long ago. 

The first man grabbed her arms and hauled her off the floor. He slammed her against the wall and she whimpered as the other two chained her to the wall. "We've had a stressful day, 319. I'm glad you're here to help us out." His hand found her throat, cutting off her air supply. She strained back into the wall, tears escaping her eyes. He released her once black spots danced in her vision and her head slumped forward. 

They took turns assaulting her body. Fists and feet met soft, pale skin, leaving purple blossoms in their wake. She kept her screams to a minimum, knowing this was just their warm up. She closed her eyes as the blows continued, think back to the time when she had asked why they did this to her. She had come to recognize that they beat her because they could. She was in isolation, there was no one to tell of her tragedy.

When they were done, they unchained her. She fell to the floor ungracefully. The woman grabbed her upper arm and pulled her roughly to her feet. "We need a photo identification. Open your eyes." She opened her eyes as she was told, and flinched at the bright flash. She caught a glimpse of herself and saw the blood dripping from her temple, down her face, and onto her neck. The woman left the room with one of the men, but the other called out, "You guys go. I'll be there soon. I have some things to discuss with 319."

Clarke flinched at the sound of the door shutting and heavy footsteps coming closer. His boot connected with her ribs, and she flipped onto her stomach. He tore open the back of her shirt, and she heard the electricity running through the shock baton. She felt the cool metal of it against her skin before she felt the pain. He did this too many times to count, adding to the scars on her back. She screamed until her throat was raw and tried to even then.

The guard grew tired of her and flipped her over so she was facing him. Her head lolled to the side, no strength left to hold it up. "Never forget what you are. You're nothing. A number on a wall. 319. And that's all you will ever be." 

The last thing she heard before unconsciousness took her was the man unzipping his pants. 

--------------------------------------------------

Clarke eyes snapped open as she awoke from her nightmare. Her heart was pounding and her whole body was covered in sweat. She jumped when she felt a hand on her shoulder, "Clarke. Clarke look at me. Are you alright?" Clarke nodded, her hands shaking as she pushed the furs back from her body. "Clarke, where are you going?" She made her made her way across the room and to the door, "I'm sorry, I- I need to go." She said as she turned and ran from the room.

-----------------------------------------------------

Octavia woke to the sound of someone pounding the door. She shifted in Lincoln's arms, hoping not to wake him, but it was no use, he stirred, "Tavia?" "Shh. Go back to sleep." She stood and moved towards the door, the knocking still sounding panicked and insistent. Lincoln sat up, "Octavia, what's going on?"

Octavia reached the door and it flung open as soon as her hand touched the handle. Something collided with her and she instinctively wrapped her arms around the form when she noticed the blonde hair of the girl that had thrown herself into Octavia's arms. Clarke was shaking considerably and letting out small sobs. Octavia grew more and more worried, "Clarke? Hey, you're okay. What happened, Princess?"

But Clarke couldn't speak. She was still stuck in that cell. She could still feel their hands on her body. Still felt the bruises and scars and aches as if they were fresh wounds. She noticed movement over Octavia's shoulder and looked up to see a man coming towards her. She jumped back and when he kept coming closer, she walked backwards until she hit the wall, flinching as her didn't stop his advancement. 

Octavia noticed the distress Clarke was under and called out sharply, "Lincoln. Stop." He looked at her questioningly, but thankfully backed away. Octavia knew that if Clarke didn't calm down soon, she was going to black out, and seeing her reaction to Lincoln and the unfocused look in her eyes, she knew exactly where Clarke was. She stepped in front of her friend, watching her flinch when Octavia got close.

"Clarke. It's me. It's Octavia. You're in my room. In Polis. We're on the ground, Princess. Come back to me."

It took a minute or two, which seemed to last forever, but eventually, Clarke seemed to realize where she actually was. She choked out, "Octavia?" and her knees collapsed beneath her. The dark haired girl caught her and lowered them to the floor, pulling the blonde into her arms she wept. "I-I-" She cried, "They- He-He-" She sobbed. "Shh." replied Octavia, "I know. You're safe now."

She finally managed to get Clarke to calm down and asked, "When was the last time you've had that dream?" Clarke shuddered and sighed before quietly replying, "I think the last time was when almost everyone on the Dropship got sick because of Murphy. I tried helping everyone and eventually I got sick too. I slept a lot and I had that nightmare." Clarke looked down at her hands, "It usually happens after I've been in a situation where I feel helpless."

Octavia sighed, "So when Lexa died, you felt helpless and that brought up all these deeply buried memories?" Clarke nodded. Octavia stood up, keeping Clarke cradled in her arms, she walked them slowly to the bed after she had made Lincoln move to the far wall. She layed Clarke down and lied down next to her stroking her blonde hair. "Is it okay if I have Lincoln come over here and check on you?" Clarke thought about it for a moment, still weary from the nightmare, and nodded slowly.

  ----------------------------------------------------- 

The few Nightbloods that were still awake watched as Lexa paced at the foot of the bed. She had wanted to rush after her the moment the door shut. The look of panic that had been on Clarke's face... she would never forget that look. It was her Nightbloods that convinced her to stay put, telling her that Clarke would need her to be there when she came back.

The was a small knock at the door, and Lexa answered it herself. Octavia walked in carrying a sleeping Clarke, Lincoln trailing behind them. "Is she alright?" She asked as Octavia placed Clarke on the bed, and sat beside her, their fingers intertwined. It was Lincoln who answered her as she stopped pacing, "She is." Lexa felt a weight being lifted from her shoulders, "What happened?" Octavia spoke as she moved some hair from Clarke's face, "She had a nightmare. Lincoln gave her some stronger medicine. She should be okay until morning." 

Lexa thanked them, moving back to her bed and crawling back in. Octavia sighed, knowing she would have to leave her friend. She kissed Clarke's forehead and then the back of the hand that she held, "Sleep well, Princess. Stay strong." She stood and met Lincoln at the door. They turned back, "Reshop, Heda." Lexa nodded in thanks, "Reshop, Oktevia. Reshop, Linkon." They left, closing the door with a soft click.

The Nightbloods had all fallen asleep all around the room when Lexa pulled Clarke into her front, wrapping an arm protectively around her waist. She nuzzled into the back of Clarke's neck and kissed the skin there. She closed her eyes, "Reshop, ai hodnes."