Chapter 14 How Was She?

Lincoln unsheathed his sword and carved a deep X into the middle of the tree trunk. "Do you remember the motions I taught you this morning?" Clarke nodded and wiped the sweat from her forehead, thankful she had changed into a tank top earlier. Clarke twirled her sword in her hand a few times and Lincoln laughed, "Eager are we?"

Clarke laughed, "Eager to show you how much I've improved." They had started as soon as breakfast had ended. They started with swords, going over motions until the sun was high overhead. They had stopped to eat a small lunch and then started hand to hand combat which had turned into sparring.

They still had about an hour before sunset and Clarke was determined to show Lincoln how much she had already refined her skills. She felt like she had something to prove, being from the Ark. She continued to twirl her sword, getting reacquainted with the weight.

She worked on different combinations of stabs and slashes, turning from side to side and sometimes spinner her whole body around for momentum. She had hit the mark every time. Bringing her sword in an arch around her body, she hit the X one final time right in the center and turned to Lincoln, her eyebrows raised, "Well? How was that?"

He seemed stunned, "Are you sure you've never picked up a blade before?" Clarke shook her head, "We didn't have them on the Ark. And even down here, Octavia really had the only one." Pulling her sword from the tree and sheathing it on her back, she ran a hand through her hair before lightly tracing the marks she had made. "So I'm guessing I wasn't that bad?"

He laughed, "Bad? Clarke, you just showed skills we usually don't teach for months. I know I didn't show you half of that. How did you figure out the combinations?" Clarke was slightly confused, "Uh... I don't know. I guess I just did whatever felt right." Lincoln laughed and shook his head, "Alright, well. Keep doing that." Clarke laughed, "Okay."

As the sun began to set, they walked side by side over to their pile of training gear. Lincoln handed her a small container of water, which she took gratefully. They sat in the grass, drinking water, and watched as the sun got lower in the sky.

"Clarke? May I ask you something?" Lincoln asked, continuing to watch the sky. "Sure." She answered, watching his expression from the corner of her eye. "When I was coming towards you. Last night, after you ran into our room. Who did you actually see coming towards you?" Clarke sighed, trying to figure out the best way to say it without spilling her whole story.

Lincoln thought she wasn't going to answer, and afraid he had overstepped, he opened his mouth to ask a different question, but then her voice carried through the silence. "His name was Jonathan. He was one of the guards on the Ark. Let's just say that he didn't like me that much and leave it at that, okay?"

He turned to her and found her already watching him. He nodded, respecting her boundaries. "I am here, Clarke. If ever you should need to speak to someone." The blonde nodded, "Thank you, Lincoln."

"Is this all your training has come to today?" They turned quickly and saw Lexa leaning against one of the trees on the edge of the ring. Lincoln bowed his head, "Heda. We were simply finishing the day with conversation." Lexa smiled, "How was she?" Lincoln smiled, "Clarke was better than anticipated, Leksa. Her skills were fair and she is quick and eager to learn." Clarke stood, "You know? I am right here."

She walked over and hugged Lexa, burying her face in her neck and breathing in her unique scent. "Hi." She whispered. Lexa kissed the top of her head, "Hello, Clarke. How was training with Lincoln today? Did you enjoy yourself?" Clarke nodded, "Yeah."

Lexa smiled, "I am glad." She expected Clarke to step back, but the blonde continued to cling to her. Holding her tightly, Lexa asked, "Is everything alright, hodnes?" Clarke didn't reply for a few minutes, knowing how stupid she was about to sound. But, not wanting to worry Lexa, she answered quietly, "I miss you."

Lexa smiled softly. They had been spending so much time together as Lexa healed, and she had spent the last week of meetings wishing to be in Clarke's embrace too. "I miss you as well, Clarke." She kissed the blonde lightly before stepping back. "Would you show me what Lincoln has taught you?" Clarke blushed, nervous of not being good enough.

When Lexa noticed her avoiding eye contact, she placed her fingers under Clarke's chin and guided Clarke's gaze to meet her own. "Please, Clarke. I simply wish to see what areas need work. I am not expecting you to suddenly be a trained warrior." Clarke nodded and turned to Lincoln.

When he saw Clarke's expression, he knew he was in for it. Looking back to Lexa, it was clear that her 'soothing' words had only make Clarke more determined. Determined for what, he wasn't exactly sure, but it was clear that Lexa didn't understand what she'd done.

Lincoln turned back to find Clarke standing in the middle of the ring, twirling her sword in her hands. Sighing, Lincoln grabbed his own sword and moved to stand opposite her. He saw Clarke watching his movements, her eyes calculating.

Lexa gasped when her gaze landed on Clarke drawing a sword from her back. She hadn't noticed it earlier. Seeing it now surprised her. Had Lincoln taken her to be bonded? Lexa frowned, she had wanted to be there when Clarke found her sword. But, even still, Clarke had no where near enough training to be sparring against Lincoln with a weapon.

Lexa paced nervously on the side of the field as the fight began, her eyes fixed on Clarke.

Clarke let her instinct guide her movements. She was entirely focused on beating Lincoln. She had to prove that she wasn't some weak little girl from the Ark. She had to prove she was worthy of a grounder. Worthy of the Commander.

When Henna had explained soul bonds to her this morning, Clarke had been skeptical. But now, she had to admit, she felt something when she fought with her sword. Something deep inside of her that was guiding and protecting her.

Clarke's inner monologue was interrupted when Lincoln swiftly disarmed her. She grunted at the impact and watched her only weapon fly across the ring boundary. Refusing to give in, she steeled her gaze and sunk into a more stable stance used for hand to hand. Or in this case...hand to sword.

She noticed Lincoln's eyes widened when she continued to fight, though Clarke was clearly at a disadvantage. Though she couldn't see it, Lexa's eyes widened as well. What is she doing? She's going to get herself hurt! She resumed pacing, this time faster and closer to the ring.

It seemed to take ages, but eventually Clarke was able to use Lincoln's lapse in focus against him, though it was only a second as his eyes scanned the tree line. She spun and kicked his wrist, smirking as his sword slid out of the ring.

Her smile faded when she realized that she had yet to win against Lincoln in hand to hand.