Chapter 12 Breakfast

Lexa woke to an emptier room than she fell asleep in. The Nightbloods had all woken up and left for breakfast before their morning training with Titus. Her arm was still securely around Clarke's waist. Lexa untangled herself from the bed and opened the balcony doors. The morning air was cool and crisp, but she knew it would be hot later.

She walked back to the bed and snuggled once again into Clarke's neck, playing with the baby hairs around her neck. Clarke shifted and turned, her head on Lexa's chest as Clarke kissed her collar bone. Lexa smiled, "Good morning, Clarke." Clarke groaned, not in the slightest a morning person, and mumbled a raspy, "Morning, Lex."before she nuzzled back into her chest. Lexa kissed Clarke's forehead and stood, not missing Clarke's grumble of protest.

Lexa changed into one of her lighter sets of armor and turned to find blue eyes watching her. "Would you like to join me for breakfast in the throne room today, ai hodness?" Clarke nodded, "Can you help me get dressed?" Lexa nodded, "Of course. Come." Clarke got up and reached for Lexa's outstretched hand.

Clarke felt sluggish from whatever Lincoln had given her last night. Lexa's hands were soft and gentle as she helped her strip down to her chest binding and boyshorts. She helped Clarke slide on some tight, black pants and tied up her boots. She guided a shirt over the blonde's head and stepped behind her to lace up the back. That's when she saw the scars.

Lexa gasped, she knew that Clarke's body held scars, but she didn't know the extent. Sure, she had felt them run beneath her finger tips during their night together, but she had never seen them so up close. Clarke always wore clothes and armor that covered her back, she hadn't stopped to think about why. Now that Lexa thought about it, Clarke had always avoided having Lexa touch the skin on her back. She was ashamed of her scars, Lexa thought. Tears formed in Lexa's eyes at the thought that Clarke couldn't see what these scars meant. They were symbols of the blonde girl's strength, her ability to overcome. They made her who she was, told her story. They made her even more beautiful.

Clarke heard a quiet gasp from behind her. She stiffened, waiting for questions to begin flying at her. Instead, she felt Lexa's lips against her skin, kissing each of the ugly, jagged scars that her back held. A string inside of her broke, one that had been too tightly wound for months now, and tears ran down Clarke's face.

She had expected many reactions when Lexa finally saw her scarred body, but kindness and reverence had not crossed her mind. She felt the words breathed against her skin, "I'm sorry." Clarke's jaw clenched and she took in a shuddering breath, "What's done is done."

Clarke felt Lexa lacing up her top as she continued to kiss the scars in her path. As her shirt tightened around her body, Clarke calmed herself down again. With one final kiss to the back of her neck, Lexa came to stand in front of her once again. She held Clarke's face in her hands and wiped the last remains of tears from her cheeks.

Clarke leaned forward hand kissed Lexa. Her kiss spoke the words for her. Thank you. Thank you for not asking. Thank you for just understanding. They pulled away and rested their foreheads together for a moment. Lexa leaned forward and pecked Clarke's lips once more, whispering, "Ai hodness. Ai gona." She entangled their hands and pulled Clarke to the door, "Come. Food is waiting."

Their entrance was announced as the doors to the throne room opened. Lincoln and Octavia stood from their places at the table along with everyone else joining them for breakfast, mostly they were important people from other clans who were visiting Polis. Everyone bowed their heads respectfully, waiting for them to sit before once again taking their seats. "Morning, Princess." Octavia greeted, happily. Clarke smiled as much as she could manage, "Morning, O."

They ate quietly, most of the conversation taking place between Clarke and Octavia. "Oh, Clarke, I forgot to tell you. I'm heading back to Arkadia today to invite everyone to the festival. Want me to bring you anything back?" Clarke was confused, "Festival?"

It was Lexa who answered, "In one week's time, Polis will be holding a week long celebration in honor of the first full moon of the season. An invitation has been extended to all 13 clans." Clarke hummed and nodded, she knew she was going to have to face everyone again eventually.

She tuned back to Octavia, "Everyone's going to be here for a week?" When the younger girl nodded she continued, "Wanna bring me back a week's worth of Monty's moonshine?" Octavia broke out with laughter and the blonde couldn't hold hers in either. Lexa smiled softly at the sound, it had been a while since she had heard that sound. "Unfortunately, Princess, Kane found the stash and threatened lashes, I don't know if there is any more. But for you? I'll see what I can do."

The mood in the room shifted when Clarke asked, "He threatened lashes?" Octavia nodded slowly, noticing how stiff Clarke suddenly was, "They said the ground would be different. They don't want to detain or kill us anymore, so they found other ways to punish even the smallest infraction." Lexa had been confused and was thankful when Lincoln asked, "What are lashes?"

Both girls from the Ark flinched, each having some experience, though one certainly more than the other. It was Octavia who found her voice to answer, though she was speaking slowly and timidly, "Well, remember when Finn was dying and we had you?" He nodded. "And Raven...she um..." He nodded again. "Yeah...so, it's that...um...over and over again, but slightly less intense." They all heard, but chose to ignore Clarke when she mumbled, "Oh trust me, it can be worse than live wires."

Lexa was taken aback. "And they do that to children?" Octavia shrugged, "Their bodies are stronger down here. They can take more." Clarke sighed, meeting her friends gaze, "And those who still have parents? They don't argue because at least their kid's alive, right?" Octavia nodded and Clarke sighed again. "Is it public like it was on the Ark?" Octavia flinched again, "Right in the middle of camp."

Lexa had to know, though she already had the answer, "Has this happened to you? Clarke? Octavia?" When both girls nodded, rage flooded her. She stood and slammed her fist on the table, causing Clarke to jump. She apologized and tried to reign in her anger, not wanting to frighten her love. "That's barbaric. And they call US savages?"

Octavia laughed bitterly, "In their eyes, it's fair...merciful even. They used to just lock us up until they could kill us." Lexa sat once again, "And you were both locked up like this?" Before Octavia could say anything else, Clarke jumped up from her spot, "Okay! New subject for discussion, please!" She glared slightly at Octavia for bringing up the SkyBox and turned to Lexa, "So. What are our plans for today?"

Lexa was thrown slightly by the topic change, but respected that Clarke needed space from that conversation. "Well, we have a meeting with the ambassadors this morning. I'm training the Nightbloods later, which you are more than welcome to accompany me with. And then, I believe Lincoln had something planned for you?" She finished, turning to him.

Lincoln smiled, "Lexa thought you may like to have some actual combat training. Octavia and I volunteered to take up your training. Since she is riding into Arkadia, I figured I could handle your first session." Clarke grinned, "That would be wonderful. Thank you."